Work done against gravity with reducing gravity......

In summary, the equation for a fixed gravitaional pull is E = M x G x H - however with changing gravity as the object rises, you need to calculate new GPE.
SiriusFire
Homework Statement
Calculate the energy required to move a 100kg mass from the surface of Mars to a height of 8 x10^6 m .
Relevant Equations
E = M x G x H
To do this I'm given a graph showing gravity reducing non-linearly from 3.7 N/kg at the surface to 0.7 N/kg at 8 x 10^6m. I believe that the equation for a fixed gravitaional pull is E = M x G x H - however with changing gravity as the object rises - how do you calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
SiriusFire said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the energy required to move a 100kg mass from the surface of Mars to a height of 8 x10^6 m .
Relevant Equations:: E = M x G x H

To do this I'm given a graph showing gravity reducing non-linearly from 3.7 N/kg at the surface to 0.7 N/kg at 8 x 10^6m. I believe that the equation for a fixed gravitaional pull is E = M x G x H - however with changing gravity as the object rises - how do you calculate this?

Do you know the equation for GPE (gravitational potential energy) in the field of a spherical mass?

Hint: you can derive it from the gravitational force law.

Doesn't the GPE equation assume constant gravitational pull?

SiriusFire said:
No. Do you know the gravitational force equation?

These days all you have to do is type "gravitational potential energy" into a search engine.

I assume that the Gravitational Force Equation isn't Pe = M g Δh then because when I type "gravitational potential energy" into a search engine that's what appears! And that always assumes constant g.

SiriusFire said:
There is a simplified GPE equation which assumes that as an approximation, but it is not the (Newtonian) GPE eqution.
How does potential vary with distance from a spherically symmetric body for a force following an inverse square law, whether it be gravitational or electrostatic?
If you do not know, try integrating the force.

SiriusFire said:
I assume that the Gravitational Force Equation isn't Pe = M g Δh then because when I type "gravitational potential energy" into a search engine that's what appears! And that always assumes constant g.

Try this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/gpot.html

OK Thanks - I'm struggling but I'll try from there!

SiriusFire said:
OK Thanks - I'm struggling but I'll try from there!
In case you don't know, Newton's law of gravitation says that we have a mutual force of attraction between two point masses, with the magnitude of the force given by:
$$F = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}$$
Where ##r## is the distance between the masses,and ##G## is the universal gravitational constant.

Last edited:
... which you can integrate wrt r to find the potential.

The work done on a body by the net force ##\vec F_{net}## acting on it, or the change in its kinetic energy, is given by:$$\int_\vec{s_1}^\vec{s_2}\vec F_{net}\cdot d\vec s$$
Where ##\vec s## is the displacement vector.
In your problem, the net force on the body is composed of only the gravitational pull the body feels because of the planet, and the displacement is straight upwards.
PeroK has given you the expression of the force. The integral simplifies to:
$$\int_{R_\text{mars}}^h-\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}dr$$
This geometrically represents the area under the curve of the force against height in the graph you have from ##r=## the radius of mars, to ##r=h##.

It is unlikely that the problem wants you to find an approximation since the height is too big + he gave you a graph of the force, but here's how you can do it:
$$m_1a=\frac{Gm_1m_\text{mars}}{R_{mars}^2}\Leftrightarrow a=\frac{Gm_\text{mars}}{R_{mars}^2}$$
For heights close to the surface of mars, you can assume that the acceleration due the gravity of the planet is ##g_\text{mars}=a##, so the force your body feels is ##mg_\text{mars}##. Hence ##\Delta K=m_1g_\text{mars}h##.

Related to Work done against gravity with reducing gravity......

1. How does gravity affect the amount of work done?

As gravity decreases, the amount of work done against it also decreases. This is because gravity is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion, and as it becomes weaker, it requires less work to overcome.

2. Can work be done against gravity if there is no gravity present?

No, work cannot be done against gravity if there is no gravity present. Work is defined as the force applied to an object over a distance, and without gravity, there is no force acting against the object's motion.

3. How is work done against gravity calculated?

The work done against gravity is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it is moved against the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

4. Does reducing gravity affect the energy required to do work?

Yes, reducing gravity also reduces the amount of energy required to do work. This is because energy is directly related to work, and as less work is done against gravity, less energy is needed to overcome it.

5. How does reducing gravity affect the efficiency of work?

Reducing gravity can actually increase the efficiency of work. This is because less energy is needed to do work against a weaker force, resulting in a higher efficiency. However, this also depends on other factors such as the weight of the object and the distance it needs to be moved.