Work done by a force over a distance, relative or absolute?

In summary, when calculating work done by a constant force, we only consider the displacement of the object, regardless of its relative or absolute distance. The concept of relative distance is not taken into account.
Keran
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
When we calculate the work done by a force applied on an object (suppose force and movement are in the same direction and a constant force) do we take into account the relative distance ot the absolute distance.

When saying relative distance i mean if the object is moving on top of a platform that is also in motion (not same velocity).

Sorry if my explanation is unclear, I can upload a picture to try to explain it a bit better. It may be a stupid question and sorry if I shouldn't post it here, this is my first post.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is defined in terms of displacement not distance, so the choice of origin is irrelevant.

Related to Work done by a force over a distance, relative or absolute?

1. What is work done by a force over a distance?

The work done by a force over a distance is a measure of the energy transferred when a force causes an object to move a certain distance. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. What is the difference between relative and absolute work done?

Relative work done is the work done relative to a specific frame of reference, while absolute work done is the work done regardless of any frame of reference. In other words, relative work done takes into account the motion of the object, while absolute work done does not.

3. How is work done by a force related to kinetic energy?

According to the work-energy theorem, the work done by a force on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. This means that the more work done on an object, the more its kinetic energy will change.

4. Can negative work be done by a force?

Yes, negative work can be done by a force. This occurs when the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. Negative work decreases the kinetic energy of an object, and can also be thought of as work being done against the object.

5. How is work done by a force related to power?

Power is the rate at which work is done. This means that the more work done by a force, the more power is required to do that work in a certain amount of time. Mathematically, power is calculated by dividing work by time.