Work of a Particle in the XY Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by a force on a particle moving in the xy-plane. The force is given by F = (2yi + 1.2x^2 j)N and the particle moves from the origin to a final position with coordinates x = 5m and y = 5m. The solution involves breaking up the integral into two partitions, Woa and Wac, and the question arises about the work done on point OA, which is determined to be zero. The concept of work and the definition of work is also briefly discussed.
Redfire66

Homework Statement

A force acting on a particle moving in the xy-plane is F = (2yi + 1.2x^2 j)N. where x and y are in meters. The particle moves from the origin to a final position having coordinates x = 5m and y = 5m. Calculate the work done by F along OAC

Homework Equations

Integral of force by distance
W = ∫(Fxdx + Fydy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer. And I know what they did. But what I don't understand is how it makes sense.
The solution involves breaking up the integral into two partitions, Woa and Wac.
This is what I don't really understand - how is the work on OA zero? There is a force acting in the x direction and it moves from O to A. So by definition, since there is a force acting over a distance there should be work right? (Unless I'm not reading this properly)

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are points A and C?

Related to Work of a Particle in the XY Plane

1. What is the XY plane in relation to particle work?

The XY plane is a two-dimensional coordinate system commonly used in physics to represent the movement and position of particles. It consists of two perpendicular axes, the X-axis and the Y-axis, and is often used to analyze the motion of particles in a specific direction.

2. How is the work of a particle in the XY plane calculated?

The work of a particle in the XY plane is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the particle by the distance the particle travels in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W=Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the significance of the work of a particle in the XY plane?

The work of a particle in the XY plane is important because it helps us understand the energy transfer and motion of particles in a specific direction. It also allows us to analyze the efficiency and effectiveness of various systems and processes.

4. How does the angle of the force affect the work of a particle in the XY plane?

The angle of the force applied to a particle in the XY plane can affect the amount of work done on the particle. When the force is applied at an angle, only the component of the force in the direction of motion will do work on the particle.

5. Can the work of a particle in the XY plane be negative?

Yes, the work of a particle in the XY plane can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to the particle is in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in work being done against the motion of the particle. This can happen, for example, when a particle is slowed down or stopped by friction.