Would someone check my calculations and graph?

In summary, the individual has shared a set of data on hardness, cold work, stress, and dimensions of aluminum and brass test samples with their group. They have asked for feedback on the organization and presentation of the data. The reviewer suggests using scatter plots with trendlines for the hardness vs cold work graph and line graphs for the hardness vs stress and stress vs cold work graphs. They also recommend labeling the axes with units and including a brief explanation or interpretation of the results in the report. The data and graphs look good overall.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I've put together a set of data containing hardness, cold work, stress and dimensions of aluminum and brass test samples. Before I distribute to my group, I wanted to ensure that it looked okay (units, graphs, etc.).

I needed to provide three graphs for each material:
Hardness vs Cold Work
Hardness vs Stress
Stress vs Cold Work

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my excel file for everyone to view. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Lab 6 - Cold Working.xlsx
    24.2 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your data with the group. I have reviewed your excel file and it looks well-organized and easy to understand. However, I do have some suggestions for your graphs to make them more visually appealing and informative.

For the hardness vs cold work graph, I would recommend using a scatter plot with a trendline to show the relationship between the two variables. This will make it easier to see any patterns or trends in the data. Additionally, labeling the axes with the units (e.g. Hardness (HV) vs Cold Work (%)) will make it clearer for readers to interpret the graph.

For the hardness vs stress and stress vs cold work graphs, I would suggest using a line graph instead of a scatter plot. This will better illustrate the relationship between the variables and make it easier to compare the data for both materials. Again, labeling the axes with units (e.g. Hardness (HV) vs Stress (MPa)) will be helpful for interpretation.

Overall, your data and graphs look good, but I would also recommend including a brief explanation or interpretation of the results in your report. This will help the readers understand the significance of the data and its implications. Keep up the good work!

Related to Would someone check my calculations and graph?

1. How accurate do my calculations need to be?

The level of accuracy needed in your calculations will depend on the purpose and context of your experiment. If your experiment is exploring a new concept or theory, your calculations should be as precise as possible. However, if you are simply trying to demonstrate a concept or provide a rough estimate, a lower level of accuracy may be acceptable.

2. Can I use a calculator or computer program to check my calculations?

Using a calculator or computer program to check your calculations can be helpful, but it's important to also understand the underlying mathematical concepts and double-check your work manually. Technology can sometimes make mistakes or rounds numbers differently, so it's always best to have a human eye double-checking your work.

3. How do I create an accurate and informative graph?

To create an accurate and informative graph, start by carefully selecting the appropriate type of graph for your data. Then, ensure that all data points are accurately plotted and labeled. Use clear and concise labels, including units, and make sure your graph has a descriptive title. Additionally, be mindful of the scale on your axes and consider including a key or legend if necessary.

4. What should I do if my calculations or graph do not match my hypothesis?

If your calculations or graph do not match your hypothesis, it's important to carefully review your methods and data to identify any potential errors. You may need to repeat your experiment or adjust your methods in order to obtain accurate results. It's also important to consider other factors or variables that may have affected your results.

5. How do I know if my calculations and graph are reliable?

In order to ensure the reliability of your calculations and graph, it's important to follow proper scientific methods and double-check your work. This includes carefully recording all data, using appropriate units, and checking for errors or inconsistencies. Additionally, it's helpful to have someone else review your work to catch any mistakes or offer suggestions for improvement.