Z^3-1=0 (express using de moivres theorum)

• Thread starter Daaniyaal
  • Start date
In summary: True. But we are mainly interested in values of θ between 0 and 2π. The others are really just 'copies'. If you put θ=2π you get the same z value as θ=0.Yes, I see why that would work. 2π/3 is a good choice. Yes, I see why that would work. 2π/3 is a good choice.
Daaniyaal

Homework Statement

Use De Moivre's theorem to obtain solutions to the equation (Z^3)-1=0

Homework Equations

z^n= rθ^n(cosnθ+isinnθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty on figuring out how to meld the equation to De Moivres Theorem

Physics news on Phys.org
Daaniyaal said:

Homework Statement

Use De Moivre's theorem to obtain solutions to the equation (Z^3)-1=0

Homework Equations

z^n= rθ^n(cosnθ+isinnθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty on figuring out how to meld the equation to De Moivres Theorem

Write z=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ)). So you have z^3=1. What are the possibilities for r and θ? Start with r. By convention we pick r>=0. What must r be?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Write z=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ)). So you have z^3=1. What are the possibilities for r and θ?

r would be 1 and θ=0 right?

Daaniyaal said:
r would be 1 and θ=0 right?

Good start! That's one solution. Can you find two more? Try to think of other values of θ that might work. cos(3θ) has to be 1 and sin(3θ) has to be 0.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Good start! That's one solution. Can you find two more, try to think of other values of θ that might work.

ok so

z^3= 1^3(cos(3θ)+isin(3θ))

Daaniyaal said:
Arghh I can't think of anything, do they have anything to do with our "special triangles"? the 45-45-90 one and the 30-60-90 one? I've thought of multiple sin and cos values and none of them are giving me the right answer :( apart from the previous one I have listed.

Not so special. cos(2π)=1 and sin(2π)=0. Suggest a value for θ using that.

dick said:
not so special. Cos(2π)=1 and sin(2π)=0. Suggest a value for θ using that.

2pi!

Sorry I keep taking too many hints, I get it after I post that I don't understand

The number "1" has "polar form" r= 1 and [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] because the number 1= 1+ 0i is represented by the point (1, 0) which is at distance 1 from (0, 0) and angle 0 with the positive x-axis. Alternatively, x= 1+ 0i= 1(cos(0)+ i sin(0)).

Now, cosine and sign are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. So the x-axis, in addition to being "[itex]\theta= 0[/itex]" is also "[itex]\theta= 2\pi[/itex]" and "[itex]\theta= 4\pi[/itex]".

(As well as "[itex]6\pi[/itex]" or "[itex]9\pi[/itex]" or even "[itex]-2\pi[/itex]", etc. but those are not important. Do you see why?)

HallsofIvy said:
The number "1" has "polar form" r= 1 and [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] because the number 1= 1+ 0i is represented by the point (1, 0) which is at distance 1 from (0, 0) and angle 0 with the positive x-axis. Alternatively, x= 1+ 0i= 1(cos(0)+ i sin(0)).

Now, cosine and sign are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. So the x-axis, in addition to being "[itex]\theta= 0[/itex]" is also "[itex]\theta= 2\pi[/itex]" and "[itex]\theta= 4\pi[/itex]".

(As well as "[itex]6\pi[/itex]" or "[itex]9\pi[/itex]" or even "[itex]-2\pi[/itex]", etc. but those are not important. Do you see why?)
Because it is really the same position right? 2pi=4pi in terms of position on the circle?

Daaniyaal said:
2pi!

True. But we are mainly interested in values of θ between 0 and 2π. The others are really just 'copies'. If you put θ=2π you get the same z value as θ=0. I was hoping you'd say 2π/3. Do you see why that works and is more interesting?

Related to Z^3-1=0 (express using de moivres theorum)

1. What is de Moivre's theorem?

De Moivre's theorem is a mathematical formula that helps to find the roots of a complex number. It states that for any complex number z and integer n, (cos θ + i sin θ)^n = cos nθ + i sin nθ.

2. How is de Moivre's theorem used to solve equations like Z^3-1=0?

By rewriting the equation as z^3 = 1 and using de Moivre's theorem, we can solve for z by finding the complex roots of 1. These roots can be expressed using the formula z = cos(2kπ/n) + i sin(2kπ/n), where k ranges from 0 to n-1.

3. What is the significance of Z^3-1=0 in mathematics?

This equation is known as a "root of unity" equation, and its solutions represent the complex numbers that, when raised to the third power, equal 1. These numbers have important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and cryptography.

4. Can de Moivre's theorem be used to solve equations with different powers?

Yes, de Moivre's theorem can be applied to equations with any power. For example, for the equation z^4 = 1, the solutions would be z = cos(2kπ/4) + i sin(2kπ/4), where k ranges from 0 to 3.

5. Are there any limitations to using de Moivre's theorem to solve equations?

De Moivre's theorem can only be used for equations that can be rewritten in the form z^n = a, where z is a complex number and n is an integer. It cannot be used for equations with fractional or irrational powers.