Z = xy, dz/dx = delta z/ delta x, no idea why

In summary, the conversation discusses a function that looks similar to z = xy and the discovery of a property where delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx. The function is found to be linear and is defined as a function of more than one variable with partial derivatives. The criterion for linearity is discussed and examples are given to demonstrate the linear behavior.
jrm4496

Homework Statement

Ok this isn't really homework just something I came across and am confused by. I came across a function that looks similar to z = xy and I found that delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx which is really weird to me. This was really strange to me so I checked to see if z = x²y would also be the same and it wasn't which I expected. I don't know how to explain why z = xy has this sort of property where delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx. Sorry if this is a sort of weird question.

Homework Equations

For example let's say z = xy, x = 5, y = 2, z = 10. We increase x to 6 then z = 12.
delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx = y => delta_z = y*delta_x = 2*1 = 2. No idea why this is true though it should be like a linear approximation.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was thinking it's true in the same way that for y=mx+b, delta_y/delta_x = dy/dx, now I don't know what to call these type of functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jrm, :welcome:

With this function, you can see that if you keep y constant, then z = constant * x, the equation of a straight line.

First, what do you mean by "similar to z= xy"? Was the function z= xy or not? Second, since you are talking about "delta z/delta x" and "dz/dt", what happens to y? If you are treating y as a constant, then z is a linear function of x so of course you get that property. And you call those functions "linear" functions!

Ah so this function is linear? I looked online and it showed linear multivariable functions have the form f(x1,x2,x3,...) = a1x1 + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... So I didn't want to call this type of function linear since it does not have this form. By similar I mean it looks like z = (1+y)(A+Bx). Sorry I made a mistake in my first post. It should have been y = 10, and increases to y = 12, not z. I guess a follow up question would be anything of the form f(x1,x2,x3,...) = x1*x2*x3... would have this behavior if you kept all other variables constant when taking a derivative with respect to one variable and it would be called linear?

Thanks for the responses!

You found the correct criterion for linearity. That doesn't exclude the possibility that the intersection of the 3D graph of your function with any plane y = constant (or, alternativly, x = constant) is a straight line.
Note that for functions of more than one variable we use partial derivatives: Function ##\ z = f(x,y)\ ## has partial derivatives ##\ \partial z\over \partial x\ ## and ##\ \partial z\over \partial y\ ##.

##\ \partial z\over \partial x\ ## is a function of x and y obtained by taking the the usual derivative wrt x while keeping y constant. In your ##z = xy## example ##\ {\partial z\over \partial x} = y\ ##.

And in your z = (1+y)(A+Bx) ##\ {\partial z\over \partial x} = B(1+y)\ ##, which still is a straight line -- hence the ##\ {\Delta z\over \Delta x} = {\partial z\over \partial x}\ ##.

--

Picture shows intersections with y = -2 is a straight line. So is intersection with x = 2 -- and any plane with x = constant or y = constant.

upload_2015-12-4_2-1-25.png

Ah, that clears things up for me. Thanks!

Related to Z = xy, dz/dx = delta z/ delta x, no idea why

1. What is the significance of the equation "Z = xy"?

This equation represents a mathematical relationship between two variables, x and y. It states that the value of z is equal to the product of x and y. This equation can be used to model various real-world situations and make predictions.

2. What does "dz/dx" mean in the context of this equation?

"dz/dx" is known as the partial derivative of z with respect to x. It represents the rate of change of z with respect to x, while holding all other variables constant.

3. How is "delta z/ delta x" related to "dz/dx" in this equation?

"delta z/ delta x" is another way of representing the partial derivative of z with respect to x. It is often used in calculus to represent a small change in z over a small change in x, which is essentially the definition of a derivative.

4. Can you explain why the equation "dz/dx = delta z/ delta x" is important?

This equation is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of z with respect to x, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of a system or phenomenon. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many scientific fields.

5. Why is the phrase "no idea why" included in the equation "Z = xy, dz/dx = delta z/ delta x, no idea why"?

This phrase is often used as a placeholder in mathematical equations when the exact reasoning or justification is not known. It does not affect the validity or significance of the equation itself.