Zero Dimensional Null Space (What's the meaning of this?)

In summary: When you row reduce a matrix, you always end up with a matrix that is equivalent to the one you start with.
kosovo dave
Gold Member
So a question on my linear algebra homework asks for the dimensions of Nul(A) and Col(A).
Let A =
\begin{pmatrix}
-4 & -3\\
-1 &4\\
-3& -7
\end{pmatrix}

I row reduced the above matrix to
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & 1\\
\end{pmatrix}

Now, the T.A. for my section told us that to find the dimension of Nul(A) you look at the number of free variables in Nul(A). There are no free variables, so the dimension of Nul(A) is 0? What does this mean? I think I may be a little confused on what it means to find the dimension of a space. Why should the number of free variables in the null space tell you anything about the dimension of the null space?

Physics news on Phys.org
kosovo dave said:
So a question on my linear algebra homework asks for the dimensions of Nul(A) and Col(A).
Let A =
\begin{pmatrix}
-4 & -3\\
-1 &4\\
-3& -7
\end{pmatrix}

I row reduced the above matrix to
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & 1\\
\end{pmatrix}
You should have another zero row in your matrix.
kosovo dave said:
Now, the T.A. for my section told us that to find the dimension of Nul(A) you look at the number of free variables in Nul(A). There are no free variables, so the dimension of Nul(A) is 0? What does this mean?
Yes, dim(Nul(A)) is 0. It means that the nullspace is just the zero vector. The null space will always contain the zero vector, but could have other vectors as well.
kosovo dave said:
I think I may be a little confused on what it means to find the dimension of a space. Why should the number of free variables in the null space tell you anything about the dimension of the null space?

Your matrix represents a transformation from ##\mathbb{R}^2## to ##\mathbb{R}^3##. In finding the nullspace, the matrix you ended with says that x = 0 and y = 0. There are only two variables, so there are no free variables that can take on arbitrary values. If you had ended up with a free variable, it would mean that the nullspace is a line (dimension 1) through the origin. If you had ended up with two free variables, the nullspace would be a plane (dimension 2) through the origin, and so on.

Likes kosovo dave
Since I only have 2 variables, can't I throw away that row of 0's in the RREF matrix?

Mark44 said:
You should have another zero row in your matrix.
Yes, dim(Nul(A)) is 0. It means that the nullspace is just the zero vector. The null space will always contain the zero vector, but could have other vectors as well.Your matrix represents a transformation from ##\mathbb{R}^2## to ##\mathbb{R}^3##. In finding the nullspace, the matrix you ended with says that x = 0 and y = 0. There are only two variables, so there are no free variables that can take on arbitrary values. If you had ended up with a free variable, it would mean that the nullspace is a line (dimension 1) through the origin. If you had ended up with two free variables, the nullspace would be a plane (dimension 2) through the origin, and so on.

I still think I'm missing something here. I don't quite see why a free variable makes the null space a line, plane, etc. Maybe I'm approaching what the null space is in the wrong way. I'm thinking about it as the set of vectors you can put into x so that Ax=0. Is there a better way to think about it?

kosovo dave said:
I'm thinking about it as the set of vectors you can put into x so that Ax=0. Is there a better way to think about it?

It's best to keep in mind that the set of such vectors is itself a vector space. For example [itex] Ax = 0 [/itex] and [itex] Ay = 0 [/itex] implies [itex] A(x + y)\ = \ Ax + Ay \ = \ 0 + 0 = 0 [/itex] . If you are thinking of vectors as directed line segments originating at the origin of Euclidean 3-D space then the possible proper subspaces are lines, planes, and the zero dimensional space.

Likes kosovo dave
kosovo dave said:
Since I only have 2 variables, can't I throw away that row of 0's in the RREF matrix?
When you row reduce a matrix, you get another matrix that is equivalent to the one you start with. A 3 x 2 matrix can't be equivalent to a 2 x 2 matrix.

Likes kosovo dave

Related to Zero Dimensional Null Space (What's the meaning of this?)

1. What is a zero dimensional null space?

A zero dimensional null space refers to the set of all vectors that when multiplied by a given matrix equal zero. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to a homogeneous system of equations.

2. What is the meaning of a null space?

The null space of a matrix represents all possible solutions to a system of equations that result in a zero vector. It can also be thought of as the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the given matrix.

3. How is a zero dimensional null space different from other null spaces?

A zero dimensional null space is unique in that it only contains the zero vector. This means that there are no other solutions or vectors that can be mapped to the zero vector by the given matrix.

4. What are some applications of zero dimensional null spaces?

Zero dimensional null spaces have important applications in fields such as linear algebra, computer science, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, find the rank and nullity of a matrix, and determine the linear independence of vectors.

5. How can understanding zero dimensional null spaces be useful for scientists?

Understanding zero dimensional null spaces is essential for scientists who work with systems of equations and matrices. It allows them to accurately solve equations and analyze the behavior of systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image and video compression, and data analysis.