[Advanced] Probability of Union[n-elements]

In summary: At least not in LaTex. I am thinking:I get stuck at those 3 intersections and 4.Now, try to see if you can detect a pattern and try induction.
Bassalisk
Hello,

We are all familiar with the formula that relates union of 2 mutually NOT exclusive events formula:

[itex] P(A\cup B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A\cap B) [/itex]

For 3 sets its easily derived using this formula.

But I wanted to take this step further. I wanted to find a general formula, that represents union of n elements.

I don't know how to write that In LaTex.

If anybody knows the answer, please don't tell me. Tell me some guidelines to solution. I have tried, but I get stuck with recursive sums, and I can't get out of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of expressing a union of n elements as a union of a smaller number of elements,and then use the answer you already know, by using parentheses. I am trying to not be neither too obscure nor tell you the answer.

Bacle said:
Think of expressing a union of n elements as a union of a smaller number of elements,and then use the answer you already know, by using parentheses. I am trying to not be neither too obscure nor tell you the answer.

You mean like, doing for 3 4 5 and maybe 6 sets this union, then get my answer from that?

Is that mathematically bulletproof?

Bassalisk said:
You mean like, doing for 3 4 5 and maybe 6 sets this union, then get my answer from that?

Is that mathematically bulletproof?

It's certainly not bulletproof, but it's a nice start. Start by finding it for 3,4,5 and 6 and see if you can generalize it. Once you've found a candidate for a general solution, then you can apply induction to prove it.

micromass said:
It's certainly not bulletproof, but it's a nice start. Start by finding it for 3,4,5 and 6 and see if you can generalize it. Once you've found a candidate for a general solution, then you can apply induction to prove it.

Fun! On it

Here is what I got so far:

[itex]P(A\cup B\cup C)=P(A)+P(B)+P(C)-P(A\cap B)-P(A\cap C)-P(B\cap C)+P(A\cap B\cap C)[/itex]

Assuming that:

[itex] P((A\cap B\cap C)\cup D)=P((A\cap D)\cup (B\cap D)\cup (C\cap D) [/itex]

then:

[itex]P(A\cup B\cup C\cup D)=P(A)+P(B)+P(C)+P(D)-P(A\cap B)-P(A\cap C)-P(A\cap D)-P(B\cap C)-P(B\cap D)-P(C\cap D)
+P(A\cap B\cap C)+P(A\cap C\cap D)+P(B\cap C\cap D)-P(A\cap B\cap C\cap D)[/itex]Ok, I see a sum here [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} P(A_{i})[/itex]

I also see that each set is intersected with every other set. I don't know exactly how to write that.

At least not in LaTex. I am thinking:

[itex] \bigcap_{i,j=1}^{n} A_{i},A_{j} i\neq j[/itex] [idea]

I get stuck at those 3 intersections and 4.

Now, try to see if you can detect a pattern and try induction. If you want, I can give you the (an) answer with a spoiler warning, for when you're done' let me know.

Related to [Advanced] Probability of Union[n-elements]

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of union for n-elements?

The formula for calculating the probability of union for n-elements is P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), where P(A) and P(B) are the probabilities of event A and event B occurring, and P(A and B) is the probability of both events occurring together.

2. How is the probability of union related to the probability of intersection?

The probability of union and the probability of intersection are related through the inclusion-exclusion principle, which states that the probability of union is equal to the sum of individual probabilities minus the probability of intersection.

3. Can the probability of union be greater than 1?

No, the probability of union cannot be greater than 1. This is because the maximum probability for any event to occur is 1, and when calculating the probability of union, we are essentially adding together probabilities, which cannot exceed 1.

4. How does the number of elements affect the probability of union?

The number of elements affects the probability of union by increasing the number of possible events and therefore increasing the probability of at least one of those events occurring. As the number of elements increases, the probability of union also increases.

5. Can the probability of union be negative?

No, the probability of union cannot be negative. Probability measures the likelihood of an event occurring, and it cannot have a negative value. If the calculated probability of union is negative, it is likely due to an error in the calculation or a misunderstanding of the problem.