Application of complex variables to physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the applications of complex variables to physics, specifically in solving a 2nd order differential equation with complex solutions and using Fourier transforms to convert DEs to polynomial equations. Complex variables are also used to find harmonic functions and can be applied to thermo, wave, and optics problems.
xdrgnh
So I'm taking my complex variables class and learning about these cool powerful theorems like the Cauchy Goursat theorem. I know this all has huge application in physics however I just don't know what they are. Currently I'm only taking freshmen E@M so I know I won't be using it there. But next semester I'm taking analytical mechanics and I want to start using the math I know for my physics. So what are some application of complex variables to physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for the current in an RLC circuit.

Wouldn't that be solving a 2nd order differential with complex solutions to the characteristic equations or am I missing something. Because that's cool and all but that is more or less a DE problem.

Well, I don't know much Physics, so I can't really answer this. However, you can do lots of interesting (real) integrals using stuff from complex analysis.

Let's say one has an iron disk (or something resembling a disk). And let's say we keep the boundary of the disk a fixed temperature. So one part of the disk will be 300K and another part 350K for example. We wish to find which temperature the interior of the disk has.

When we put the temperature on the boundary of the disk, then of course, the temperature on the interior will fluctuate a bit. But eventually, the temperature will converge to a temperature distribution which will not (or hardly) fluctuate. This temperature is called the steady-state temperature. We wish to find this steady-state temperature.

The clue for doing this, is by noticing that the steady-state temperature will be an harmonic function. That is, a function [itex]\varphi:D\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2\varphi}{\partial y^2}=0[/tex]

So we wish to extend the boundary of the disk to a harmonic function on the interior of the disk.

But notice that analytic functions give rise to harmonic functions! Indeed, the real part and the imaginary part of analytic functions are harmonic by the Cauchy-Riemann equations. So the question of the existence of a harmonic function can now be reduced to the existence of an analytic function. Complex variables can be used to answer that very question.

This book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486613887/?tag=pfamazon01-20 treats complex variables from that point-of-view.

xdrgnh said:
Wouldn't that be solving a 2nd order differential with complex solutions to the characteristic equations or am I missing something. Because that's cool and all but that is more or less a DE problem.

Yes, but there is one method based on Fourier transforms, which converts the DE to a polynomial equation essentially coinciding with the characteristic equation. This leads to the concept of impedance in circuits with alternating currents.

My class doesn't cover Fourier transform sadly that is covered in the PDE class for which my complex variables class is a prerequisite for. That's awesome Micromass thank you very much. I'll study a lot more on those kinds of problems over the summer. I don't know much about thermo, wave and optics but over the summer I'm self studying so I can place out of the class and I would like to apply all of the math I know to the class itself. Btw wouldn't you need to solve a PDE for that problem.

xdrgnh said:

Physics is a big giant DE problem.

Related to Application of complex variables to physics?

1. What is the role of complex variables in physics?

Complex variables play a crucial role in physics as they provide a powerful mathematical tool for describing physical phenomena that are not easily explained using real numbers. They allow for the representation of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as electric fields and fluid flow, and also facilitate the solution of differential equations that arise in various areas of physics.

2. How are complex variables applied in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, complex variables are used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons and photons. They are essential for understanding the wave-like nature of these particles and their interactions with matter. Complex numbers are also used to represent the probability amplitudes in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

3. What are some real-life examples of the application of complex variables in physics?

One example is in the study of fluid dynamics, where complex variables are used to describe the flow of fluids and the formation of vortices. Another example is in electromagnetism, where complex variables are used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the propagation of electromagnetic waves. Complex variables are also used in quantum mechanics, as mentioned earlier.

4. How do complex variables simplify calculations in physics?

Complex variables allow for the use of powerful mathematical tools, such as contour integration and Cauchy's integral theorem, which can greatly simplify calculations in physics. These tools can be used to reduce complicated integrals to simpler ones, and also to solve differential equations more efficiently. Additionally, complex variables provide a compact and elegant way of representing physical quantities and their relationships.

5. Are there any limitations to the application of complex variables in physics?

While complex variables are incredibly useful in describing and solving physical problems, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they cannot be used to describe certain physical phenomena, such as turbulence, which involves chaotic and unpredictable behavior. Additionally, complex variables are based on assumptions of smooth and continuous functions, which may not always accurately describe real-world situations. Therefore, it is important for physicists to carefully consider when and how to apply complex variables in their studies.