Average acceleration of an object

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration of an object that has a speed of 18 m/s at a certain time and 30 m/s in the opposite direction 2.4 seconds later. To find the average acceleration, the equation a_{ave} = \Delta v / \Delta t = (v_2 - v_1)/ \Delta t can be used. However, the direction of the acceleration depends on how the initial and final velocities are defined. To solve the problem, an image can be drawn and the velocity vectors can be defined, with the initial velocity being +18 m/s and the final velocity being -30 m/s. The change in velocity divided by the time interval will
physics newb
Here's my question:
An object has a speed of 18 m/s at a certain time, and 2.4 seconds later, it's speed is 30 m/s in the opposite direction.
So my question is, what were the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration of the object during this 2.4 second time period? And, if you give me an answer, how did you figure it out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't give answers here, but we do try to help you figure out how to get to the answer. So you can simplify the question a bit to assume a constant acceleration the whole time period. That would give the same results as having a varying acceleration with an average equal to the constant acceleration.

Now, what equations have you used to relate velocity and acceleration? What are the units of these quantities in the equation? How does time come into the equation?

I'm sure this is wrong, but would the constant acceleration be 12 m/s?

Here is an equation I've used for average velocity; (can't make it look the same on the monitor though, but I'll try)
v = D x/ D t = (x^2 - x^1)/D t - The D's being delta, or the little triangle.
And acceleration:
v = D v/ D t = (v^2 - v^1)/D t

I still have no idea what to do next. I'm not looking for the answer so much, just the next step.

physics newb said:
And acceleration:
v = D v/ D t = (v^2 - v^1)/D t

Rewrite this correctly:
[tex]a_{ave} = \Delta v / \Delta t = (v_2 - v_1)/ \Delta t[/tex]

Hint: Direction (and thus sign) matters!

So I'm guessing the direction of the acceleration is - (negative), sense after the 2.4 second time interval it's moving in the opposite direction faster than it was moving in the positive direction. I'm still lost on this one; any extra help would be great!

The number one thing in mechanics is drawing an image.

Draw an image, write the velocity vectors and define a positive direction and use the values in the equation outlined above.

physics newb said:
So I'm guessing the direction of the acceleration is - (negative), sense after the 2.4 second time interval it's moving in the opposite direction faster than it was moving in the positive direction. I'm still lost on this one; any extra help would be great!
Whether the acceleration is negative or positive depends on how you define the initial and final velocities. From the problem statement you posted, it looks like it is left up to you.

So let's try this -- let's call the initial motion in the + x direction, so the final motion ("in the opposite direction) will be in the - x direction. That would give you the following for initial and final velocities:

initial --> [tex]v_i = +18 \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

final --> [tex]v_f = -30 \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

Now, using the equation that Doc Al suggested, and being careful with the signs, what do you get for the change in velocity divided by the time interval?

Related to Average acceleration of an object

What is average acceleration of an object?

The average acceleration of an object is the rate at which its velocity changes over a certain period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is average acceleration calculated?

The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. The units for average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s2).

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a specific period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration shows how the object is moving at a specific point in time.

Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down. A negative acceleration does not necessarily mean that the object is moving in the opposite direction, but rather that its velocity is decreasing.

How does mass affect average acceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its average acceleration. However, a heavier object may require more force to accelerate, which would affect its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.