C6 flow cytometer troubleshooting

tirelessphoenix
TL;DR Summary
Fixing a BD C6 accuri flow cytometer
Hi, I know people here have been super helpful in resolving DYI projects I posted. I'm just going out on a limb, upping the ante a notch a little, I know.

Does anyone know anyone that might be capable of troubleshooting/fix a C6 flow cytometer like the one in the image? I've been using it so long, and I like it so much, most user friendly type I've ever used. It just got into me like a personal project trying to fix it.

The cytometer starts, valves have been changed brand new, but still no events are recorded. It did backflush, but then stopped after a couple of runs. In the past just changing the interior valves would solve the issue. but not now....
C6.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Whazzat thing? Looks like a gas station...?

its just a machine that uses a laser that can identify molecules on cells...

Huh. Can you link to the datasheet and repair manual?

Have you talked with company that made it?

yes. they charge too much, and takes too long. and as I said...its has become sort of a pet project...I want to learn to repair it...

berkeman said:
Huh. Can you link to the datasheet and repair manual?
there is no such thing as 'repair manual'

Lordy. How about the datasheet?

And what happens if your repair makes this machine mis-identify molecules on cells? Can that result in a misdiagnosis of a patient and incorrect medical treatment? What was this machine used for, and what do you plan to use it on going forward?

there is no datasheet either.

Well, this machine is NOT approved for medical treatments. Research only. The machine either runs or doesnt. cannot run faulty, weird as it might sound. It uses microfluidics stuff, I don't know how to troubleshoot it beyond replacing all 5 interior valves which I did. this machine is used for research on human cells...counting cells, etc...very useful

there are technicians out there that know how to troubleshoot this...but I don't know how to find them. I tried everything... I just thought about posting here to see if anyone comes up with any idea...

I assume you have tried
"5.2 Cleaning and Decontamination—Standard Procedure"
on pg. 23 of the User Manual.
(https://bif.wisc.edu/wp-content/upl...ccuri_c6_flow_cytometer_instrument_manual.pdf)

Since you replaced all the valves have you verified that they all open and close properly?

You state that "backflush" worked for a few cycles and then even that stopped.

A first wild guess is that some microfluidic channels are clogged (or maybe one of those new valves).
The second wild guess is an air leak in the plumbing.
And for a third wild guess, the pump (if it exists) has failed.

SInce it processes biologicals, and presumably you have used the cleaning solution recommended in the manual, how about flushing with hydrogen peroxide, H2O2? (maybe by forcing it thru manually with a syringe)

Please keep us updated on what, if anything, you find!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes berkeman
how I verify the valves open and close properly? how I force it through a syringe? from which opening?
Is there any way to know air leak in plumbing? wouldn't it leak out? I don't see any fluid leaking anywhere...

The OP PM'd me with:
"hey, do you have experience with C6? have you performed these operations you described?"

I responded:
"No experience with the C6, just suggesting normal troubleshooting procedures based on your description of what its normal use is. I did look at the manual though, read chapter 5 TROUBLESHOOTING and glanced at chapter 4 MAINTENANCE.
tirelessphoenix said:
how I verify the valves open and close properly?
Are fluid reservoir contents decreasing and showing up where they should?
A cursory valve check is can you see, hear or feel them operate.
tirelessphoenix said:
how I force it through a syringe? from which opening?
How about the hoses from the bottles? You may have to open the unit to track where the hoses go.
tirelessphoenix said:
Is there any way to know air leak in plumbing? wouldn't it leak out?
If their is an air leak somewhere on the inlet side of the pump, the pump will suck air instead of any fluids. Or maybe the pump pressurizes the reactant bottles thus forcing the fluid out. If the latter, are the bottles actually being pressurized

Also, you state that "no events are being recorded." That could a recording problem, a read-out problem, a no-flow problem, bad reactants, wrong reactants in a bottle, or something else.

I have not read the 26 pg. manual, is their a Theory Of Operation in it? If not, can you supply any more information on HOW the processing is done?

Any more details you have available, no matter how minor they seem, may suggest a particular area to investigate.

Cheers,
Tom