Calculating weight needed for micromole of solution

In summary, the question asks for the weight of neutral red needed to be dissolved in 1.00 ml to create a 40.0 µM solution. Using the equation mol concentration (mol dm^-3) = moles/volume, the answer can be found by converting from grams to micrograms.
exodasbr

Homework Statement

Here is the question:
What weight of neutral red (molecular weight 289) must be dissolved in 1.00 ml to give a =40.0 µM (µmol l-1) solution? Give your answer in MICROGRAMS (µg).

Homework Equations

Not sure the only one I'm aware of is mole concentration (mol dm^-3) = moles/volume but I can't seem to find the answer using this.

The Attempt at a Solution

i. I understand that moles dm^-3 = moles/volume but this is in Micrograms so I am a bit confused.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Start calculating how many grams you need, conversion from g to μg is rather trivial.

Related to Calculating weight needed for micromole of solution

What is a micromole?

A micromole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent a quantity of a substance. It is equal to one millionth of a mole, which is the standard unit for measuring the amount of a substance.

Why is it important to calculate the weight needed for a micromole of solution?

Calculating the weight needed for a micromole of solution is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure and prepare solutions for experiments. This helps ensure the correct concentration of a substance is used, which can greatly impact experimental results.

How do you calculate the weight needed for a micromole of solution?

The weight needed for a micromole of solution can be calculated by using the molecular weight of the substance and the desired concentration of the solution. The formula is weight (g) = (concentration (mol/L) x molecular weight (g/mol) x volume (L)).

What is the molecular weight of a substance?

The molecular weight of a substance is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule. It is expressed in grams per mole (g/mol) and is used in various calculations in chemistry, including determining the weight needed for a micromole of solution.

Are there any conversion factors when calculating the weight needed for a micromole of solution?

Yes, there are conversion factors that may need to be used when calculating the weight needed for a micromole of solution. For example, if the desired concentration is in millimoles per liter (mmol/L), the molecular weight must be divided by 1000 to convert it to grams per millimole (g/mmol).