Calculation of Peak Impact force

In summary: Impact Force = W √ 2h / δstWhere W = drop weight in N/m2 h = drop height in m δst = deflection when that drop weight is statically applied in mWhether this theoretical calculation instead of load cell arrangement can yield me a comparable result of peak impact force ?In summary, the equation assumes impulse-momentum, perfect elastic collision, and work-kinetic energy. It is still unknown if these assumptions hold true in a real world scenario. Additionally, other assumptions were made including linear material behavior and material properties that are independent of rate effects.
Karan Ratan
I am a M-tech student working on a project of Drop weight impact testing machine for measuring the crashworthiness of structure. As it will be a lab-scale model, the budget doesn't allow me to include load cells for measuring peak impact force by load-displacement graph.
I am planning to calculate Average impact force as per the deformation obtained in specimen but
for getting the peak impact force(Elastic response) by theoretical approach, can i use the following equation

Impact Force = W √ 2h / δst
Where W = drop weight in N
h = drop height in m
δst = deflection when that drop weight is statically applied in m
Whether this theoretical calculation instead of load cell arrangement can yield me a comparable result of peak impact force ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Karan Ratan said:
I am a M-tech student working on a project of Drop weight impact testing machine for measuring the crashworthiness of structure. As it will be a lab-scale model, the budget doesn't allow me to include load cells for measuring peak impact force by load-displacement graph.
I am planning to calculate Average impact force as per the deformation obtained in specimen but
for getting the peak impact force(Elastic response) by theoretical approach, can i use the following equation

Impact Force = W √ 2h / δst
Where W = drop weight in N
h = drop height in m
δst = deflection when that drop weight is statically applied in m
Whether this theoretical calculation instead of load cell arrangement can yield me a comparable result of peak impact force ?

Welcome to the PF.

Are you saying that you cannot use simple accelerometers in this setup?

Impact

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Are you saying that you cannot use simple accelerometers in this setup?

I can use accelerometers but the data acquisition system required to get the readings can cost me. I am trying to keep my project as simple as possible so that it can be affordable for engineering college as an experimental setup of drop ωeight impact test to replace the charpy impact test ωhich can do the charpy impact test, crashωorthiness test and even penetration test.

I've seen approximations of peak impact force like you are describing, where one makes a couple of basic assumptions -- namely, impulse-momentum, assuming a perfectly elastic collision, along with work-kinetic energy, assuming a triangular pulse shape. Still too many unknowns. These unknowns are peak force, time duration, peak deformation.

I understand that you will be measuring the static deformation as well. So I assume that additional assumptions you've made include linear material behavior and material properties that are independent of rate effects. Is that more or less correct? Did any other assumptions go into your equation? Am I totally off base here and your equation is actually empirical?

I understand the limitations of budget and equipment in conducting experiments. However, it is important to ensure that the methods and equations used in calculations are reliable and accurate in order to obtain valid results.

In this case, using the theoretical approach to calculate peak impact force may not yield comparable results to using load cells. This is because the equation you have provided assumes a perfectly elastic response, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. The actual impact force may be affected by factors such as material properties, structural design, and energy dissipation.

It would be more accurate to use load cells to directly measure the peak impact force. If budget constraints do not allow for load cells, alternative methods such as strain gauges or accelerometers could be used to estimate the impact force. It is also important to validate the results obtained from the theoretical calculation with experimental data to ensure their accuracy.

In conclusion, while the theoretical approach may provide an estimate of the peak impact force, it may not yield comparable results to using load cells. It is recommended to use load cells or other alternative methods to directly measure the impact force for more accurate and reliable results.

Related to Calculation of Peak Impact force

1. What is the peak impact force?

The peak impact force is the maximum amount of force applied during a collision or impact event. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How is the peak impact force calculated?

The peak impact force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object (in kilograms) by its acceleration due to the impact (in meters per second squared). This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion, F=ma.

3. Why is calculating peak impact force important?

Calculating peak impact force is important for understanding the potential damage or injury that can occur during an impact event. It can also help engineers design safer structures and materials by determining their ability to withstand high impact forces.

4. What factors affect the calculation of peak impact force?

The main factors that affect the calculation of peak impact force are the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision, as well as the duration of the impact. Other factors such as the stiffness and shape of the objects, as well as any external forces, can also play a role.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating peak impact force?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating peak impact force. The calculation assumes that the impact is a single, instantaneous event and does not take into account any rebound or secondary impacts. Additionally, it may not accurately reflect the real-world conditions due to factors such as friction and deformation of the objects involved.