Calculus Notation from 1950s: Meaning of A/B & cos[mθ]/sin[mθ]

• Thread starter honestliar62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus notation found in a journal article from the 50s. The notation involves constants A and B being shown on top of each other, along with cos[mθ] and sin[mθ]. It is speculated that this notation is used to represent two nearly identical equations, with each equation highlighting a different variable of interest. The notation is compared to Fourier coefficients and is commonly used in scientific literature as a shorthand method.
honestliar62
I was reading a journal article from the 50s and came across some calculus notation that I do not know. Here is a link to the equation:
http://i41.tinypic.com/s12k1t.jpg
In equation 19, the constants A and B are shown on top of each other (same with cos[mθ] and sin[mθ]). What does this notation signify? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
honestliar62 said:
I was reading a journal article from the 50s and came across some calculus notation that I do not know. Here is a link to the equation:
http://i41.tinypic.com/s12k1t.jpg
In equation 19, the constants A and B are shown on top of each other (same with cos[mθ] and sin[mθ]). What does this notation signify? Thanks!

I've never seen that notation before, but here's my guess at what it means. Rather than writing two equations that are nearly identical, they're writing both equations. In the first equation, A is of interest, along with cos(mθ). In the second equation, B is of interest, along with sin(mθ). Again, this is just a guess on my part.

Agrre with Mark44.

These are most likely Fourier (-like) coefficients to be computed for J_m

I have actually seen the same notation used before (Brehm & Mullin - Introduction to the Structure of Matter comes to mind, I remember finding it peculiar myself when I was reading the book), only with the curly brackets {} surrounding the "choices", and I'm almost certain it's what Mark44 said. It's just a shorthand for writing the two equations separately.

I see. Thank you guys!

Related to Calculus Notation from 1950s: Meaning of A/B & cos[mθ]/sin[mθ]

1. What does the notation "A/B" in calculus from the 1950s mean?

The notation "A/B" in calculus from the 1950s represents the division of two quantities, A and B. It is commonly used to represent fractions or ratios in mathematical equations.

2. How is cos[mθ]/sin[mθ] interpreted in calculus notation from the 1950s?

The notation cos[mθ]/sin[mθ] in calculus from the 1950s represents the tangent function, tan[mθ]. It is the ratio of the cosine and sine functions and is commonly used to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific angle.

3. What does "m" stand for in cos[mθ]/sin[mθ] notation from the 1950s?

In this notation, "m" represents the slope or gradient of the function. It can also be referred to as the gradient or derivative of the function at a specific angle, θ.

4. How is cos[mθ]/sin[mθ] used in calculus from the 1950s?

The notation cos[mθ]/sin[mθ] is used to represent the derivative of a function with respect to the angle θ. It is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific angle.

5. Are there any alternative notations for cos[mθ]/sin[mθ] in calculus from the 1950s?

Yes, there are alternative notations for this expression, such as tan[mθ] or cot[mθ]. These notations are commonly used in different branches of mathematics, such as geometry and physics, to represent the tangent and cotangent functions respectively.