Can sinx/x be integrated using integration by parts?

• Thread starter gatorules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of sinx/x using elementary techniques and a method using integration by parts or the quotient rule. However, the results obtained from this method differ from the definite integral. It is suggested to check the result against a power series expansion and to take the derivative to verify the accuracy. One mistake pointed out is the incorrect choice of g(x) in the formula. Another alternative method using integration by parts is also suggested, but it leads to a recursive integral with no closed form.
gatorules
Wherever I look on the internet it says that sinx/x cannot be integrated by elementary techniques, but it seems that there is a method using integration by parts of the quotient rule. However, when I compute definite integrals with this, the answer that my calculator returns is different than the answer I get with the definite integral. Can anyone tell me where my problem is or if my method does actually work.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{f'(x)g(x)-g'(x)f(x)}{g^2(x)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\int \frac{f'(x)g(x)}{g^2(x)}\,dx-\int \frac{g'(x)f(x)}{g^2(x)}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{g'(x)f(x)}{g^2(x)}\,dx=\int \frac{f'(x)}{g(x)}\,dx-\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{x}\,dx=\int \frac{xsin(x)}{x^2}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{2xsin(x)}{x^2}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=x^2[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]g'(x)=2x[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)=cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{g'(x)f(x)}{g^2(x)}\,dx=\int \frac{f'(x)}{g(x)}\,dx-\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{2xsin(x)}{x^2}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{cos(x)}{x}\,dx-\frac{sin(x)}{x}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{cos(x)}{x}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{2xcos(x)}{x^2}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{2xcos(x)}{x^2}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{-sin(x)}{x}\,dx-\frac{1}{2}\frac{cos(x)}{x}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{2xcos(x)}{x^2}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{-sin(x)}{x}\,dx-\frac{1}{2}\frac{cos(x)}{x}\,dx[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{x}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{-sin(x)}{x} \,dx - \frac{1}{2}\frac{cos(x)}{x}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(x)}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{5}{4}\int \frac{sin(x)}{x}\,dx=-\frac{1}{4}\frac{cos(x)}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{sin(x)}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{x}\,dx=-\frac{1}{5}\frac{cos(x)}{x}-\frac{2}{5}\frac{sin(x)}{x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a bit of a headache following you since there are extra dx's everywhere & at least one is missing ...

But, could you check your result against a power series expansion of
sin(x)/x = 1 - x^2/3! + x^4/5! - ...

Integral sin(x)/x = x - x^3/3(3!) + x^5/5(5!) - ...

and compare that with the series for your answer?

I haven't looked at your method yet, but there's an easy way to tell if your method works. Take the derivative of your answer and see if you get sin(x)/x

good point gb nash! Somebody please do it - I got to go hike.

your mistake is that you took [itex]g(x) = x^{2}[/itex], whereas, according to the formula you derived the denominator is [itex]g^{2}(x)[/itex] and should be equal to [itex]x^{2}[/itex], thus [itex]g(x) = x[/itex]. But, then, [itex]g'(x) = 1[/itex] and not [itex]2 x[/itex] as you had assumed.

Thanks. I guess that means the method is totally trashed by that explains why it wasn't working.

Yes.

Alternatively, you could have used the ordinary integration by parts:

[tex]
\int{\frac{\sin{x}}{x} \, dx} = -\int{\frac{1}{x} \, d(\cos{x})} = -\frac{\cos{x}}{x} - \int{\frac{\cos{x}}{x^{2}} \, dx} = -\frac{\cos{x}}{x} - \int{\frac{1}{x^{2}} \, d(\sin{x})} = -\frac{\cos{x}}{x} - \frac{\sin{x}}{x^{2}} - 2 \int{\frac{\sin{x}}{x^{3}} \, dx}
[/tex]

You may notice a recursion for the integrals:
[tex]
I_{n} \equiv \int{\frac{\sin{x}}{x^{2 n + 1}} \, dx}
[/tex]

By similar double integration by parts, you get:
[tex]
I_{n} = -\frac{\cos{x}}{x^{2 n + 1}} - \frac{(2 n + 1) \sin{x}}{x^{2 n + 2}} - (2 n + 1) (2 n + 2) I_{n + 1}
[/tex]

As you can see, this procedure goes on indefinitely and you do not get a closed form.

Ohhh. That's genius. Thanks.

Related to Can sinx/x be integrated using integration by parts?

1. What is the formula for integrating sinx/x?

The formula for integrating sinx/x is ∫(sinx/x) dx = C + ln|sinx| + K, where C is a constant and K is the integration constant.

2. Why is the integration of sinx/x considered difficult?

The integration of sinx/x is considered difficult because it does not have a closed-form solution and requires advanced mathematical techniques such as integration by parts or substitution to solve.

3. Is there a special rule for integrating sinx/x?

No, there is no special rule for integrating sinx/x. It is treated like any other integral and requires the use of integration techniques to solve.

4. Can the integration of sinx/x be solved without using advanced techniques?

No, the integration of sinx/x cannot be solved without using advanced techniques. However, some online integration calculators or computer software can approximate the solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating sinx/x?

The integration of sinx/x has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. For example, it is used to calculate the displacement of a particle in simple harmonic motion or the voltage in an alternating current circuit.