Can this be turned into a differential equation? Recursive diffy Q?

In summary, the conversation discusses a device that loses 3% of its energy every time it is turned on and the possibility of representing this in a differential equation. Alternative recursive formulas and the concept of a delay differential equation are also mentioned.
DrummingAtom
Let's say you have a loss of 3% of the current energy on a device for every time is gets turned on. It starts at a 100% energy.

The only way I could think of it is a recursive function. Here's what I came up:

E(t) = Et - .03*Et-1

E(0) = 1

E(1) = 1 - .03*E0

E(2) = E1 - .03*E1

Where E = Energy and t = each time turned on.

I feel like the solution should be something close to E-.03t but it's not. I know the recursive function describes it exactly but I have to wonder if it's even possible to turn this into a differential equation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so considering you are look at specifc steps(each time you turn it on and off) and not a continuous interval..

Let me propose an alternative recursive formula (it should be obvious why this is the same)
E1 = .97 E0=.97
E2 = .97 E1=.972

Yes, this can be turned into a differential equation. A recursive function is essentially a discrete version of a differential equation, where the variable is changing over discrete time steps instead of continuously.

To turn this into a differential equation, we can use the definition of a derivative to represent the change in energy over time as a continuous function. Let's call E(t) the energy at time t, and let's also define a function f(t) as the rate of change of energy over time, which in this case is -3% of the current energy:

f(t) = -0.03*E(t)

Now, using the definition of a derivative, we can write:

E'(t) = lim(h->0) (E(t+h) - E(t))/h

This represents the change in energy over a small time interval (h) as it approaches 0. We can rewrite this using our function f(t):

E'(t) = lim(h->0) (E(t+h) - E(t))/h = lim(h->0) (-0.03*E(t+h))/h

Now, as h approaches 0, we can approximate E(t+h) as E(t), so we end up with:

E'(t) = lim(h->0) (-0.03*E(t))/h = -0.03*E(t)

This is the differential equation that represents the loss of energy in the device over time. It is a first-order linear differential equation, and its solution is indeed E(t) = E0*e^(-0.03*t), where E0 is the initial energy at t=0.

So, in summary, yes, this can be turned into a differential equation and its solution is E(t) = E0*e^(-0.03*t). I hope this helps!

Related to Can this be turned into a differential equation? Recursive diffy Q?

1. Can you explain what a differential equation is?

A differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It represents how a quantity changes over time or space, and is often used to model natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you determine if something can be turned into a differential equation?

To determine if something can be turned into a differential equation, you first need to identify the changing quantity or variable in the problem. This variable will become the unknown function in the differential equation. Then, you need to determine how this variable changes over time or space, and express this change using derivatives. If the relationship between the changing quantity and its derivatives can be expressed using algebraic operations, then it can be turned into a differential equation.

3. What is the difference between a differential equation and a recursive diffy Q?

A differential equation involves derivatives, while a recursive diffy Q involves recursion. Recursion is a process where a function calls itself repeatedly until a specific condition is met. In a recursive diffy Q, the changing quantity is defined recursively instead of using derivatives. Both differential equations and recursive diffy Qs can be used to model dynamic systems, but they use different mathematical approaches.

4. Can any problem be turned into a differential equation or recursive diffy Q?

No, not every problem can be turned into a differential equation or recursive diffy Q. These mathematical models are best suited for describing continuous and deterministic systems. If a problem involves discontinuities or randomness, other mathematical tools may be more appropriate.

5. How are differential equations and recursive diffy Qs used in real-life applications?

Differential equations and recursive diffy Qs are used in a wide range of real-life applications such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, and designing control systems for robots and vehicles. They are also used in fields like economics and finance to model growth and decay of investments and assets.