Can you do advanced engineering without an advanced degree?

In summary: You would need to be a rare, remarkable, and lucky person to get such a job without the credentials. In summary, the conversation discusses the decision-making process of a student interested in engineering and advanced engineering. They are considering the time commitment and feasibility of advancing their career through job experience or self-teaching, without an advanced degree. The conversation also touches on the potential benefits of obtaining a master's or PhD in engineering, as well as the possibility of transitioning from a degree in physics to a career in engineering. The experts advise that an advanced degree can be beneficial in terms of both marketability and knowledge, but it ultimately depends on the individual's skills and goals.
difscheq
Hi, I'm a student and I'm trying to decide what particular field I should study and how much time I should spend in school. I'm interested in engineering and would like to do advanced engineering that would be intellectually challenging and use advanced math and physics. However, I would rather not spend a lot of time in school. Is it feasible for an engineer to advance their carer and learn the necessary skills through job experience and/or self teaching? Or will the lack of an advanced degree, and/or a degree in the right field, limit ones carer and what type of work they can do.

From reading some of the threads here, I get the impression that a PhD in engineering won't help someones carer prospects much more than a masters in engineering. But will a masters in engineering make a big difference in someones carer prospects compared to a bachelors?

Also, is it difficult for someone who gets a degree in physics to go into engineering and do advanced work? Is there a way for someone who gets a degree in physics to make it more marketable to engineer employers, such as by taking engineering courses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An advanced degree will make it easier for you to market yourself to employers. It would probably make enough salary difference that you would see more $$ over the course of your career with an advanced degree than without, considering the cost of the degree and the years in school, not working.

It may or may not improve your effectiveness vs equivalent time on-the-job. That depends very much on who you are working with and how your own individual learning process operates. The reality in most companies is some mix of meritocracy and credentials, and the balance differs from company to company and from group to group.

My advice is that more education is not likely to hurt, and is likely to help if you are wanting to have a satisfying career and have others look at you as highly talented / skilled.

Anecdotally speaking, most of the people I know in highly regarded technical leadership positions do have advanced degrees.

difscheq said:
I'm interested in engineering and would like to do advanced engineering that would be intellectually challenging and use advanced math and physics...

Then you should go to engineering school. In 4 years you can decide whether you want to continue to another more advanced degree. You certainly don't have to decide that now. You can work and then get another degree. A lot of people do that while working, and their company pays for the tuition.

First things first. You may not even like engineering, and may discover that early in your bachelors program.

Likes russ_watters and CalcNerd
difscheq said:
Hi, I'm a student and I'm trying to decide what particular field I should study and how much time I should spend in school. I'm interested in engineering and would like to do advanced engineering that would be intellectually challenging and use advanced math and physics. However, I would rather not spend a lot of time in school. Is it feasible for an engineer to advance their carer and learn the necessary skills through job experience and/or self teaching? Or will the lack of an advanced degree, and/or a degree in the right field, limit ones carer and what type of work they can do.

From reading some of the threads here, I get the impression that a PhD in engineering won't help someones carer prospects much more than a masters in engineering. But will a masters in engineering make a big difference in someones carer prospects compared to a bachelors?

A master's in engineering can take only a little time (+1 to 1 1/2 years) over a bachelors and give you a lot of exposure to advanced classes and concepts that will help you in doing the kind of work you seem to be interested in and also make you more attractive to employers if they are doing relatively cutting edge work. Beyond that, I think you have to learn by doing, which can be either a Ph.D. dissertation project or on the job experience.

Also, is it difficult for someone who gets a degree in physics to go into engineering and do advanced work?
Probably not, unless it has to do with manufacturing or other specific processes that were not covered in the physics curriculum.

Is there a way for someone who gets a degree in physics to make it more marketable to engineer employers, such as by taking engineering courses?
That could definitely help, but I would say true hands-on experience is the best resume builder.

difscheq said:
Can you do advanced engineering without an advanced degree?
You are asking the wrong question. If you know enough, somehow, and are smart enough, then it is certainly possible that you would be capable of advanced engineering. What you need to think about is how could you ever expect to GET such a job without an advanced degree? Not likely to happen.

Related to Can you do advanced engineering without an advanced degree?

1. Can I be a successful engineer without an advanced degree?

While having an advanced degree in engineering can certainly open up more opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries, it is not a requirement for success in the field. Many engineers have successful careers with only a bachelor's degree, and some even without a degree at all. It ultimately depends on your skills, experience, and dedication to your work.

2. Are there any disadvantages to not having an advanced degree in engineering?

Not having an advanced degree may limit your opportunities for certain specialized roles or higher-level positions. It may also make it more difficult to compete with others who do have advanced degrees. However, with hard work and determination, it is still possible to have a successful career in engineering without an advanced degree.

3. Can I still do advanced engineering work without an advanced degree?

Yes, you can still do advanced engineering work without an advanced degree. Many engineers gain advanced skills and knowledge through on-the-job training, workshops, and independent study. Additionally, there are many online resources and courses available that can help you develop advanced engineering skills without a formal degree program.

4. Will not having an advanced degree limit my salary as an engineer?

Generally, having an advanced degree in engineering can lead to higher salaries, but it is not the only factor that determines your earning potential. Your experience, skills, and the demand for your particular field of engineering can also impact your salary. Additionally, many companies offer opportunities for advancement and salary increases based on performance, rather than solely on education level.

5. Are there alternative options for advanced engineering education without an advanced degree?

Yes, there are alternative options for advanced engineering education without an advanced degree. Many universities offer certificate programs or non-degree courses that focus on specific areas of engineering. Some employers also offer on-the-job training and development programs for their employees to gain advanced skills and knowledge. Additionally, there are online courses and self-study materials available for those interested in continuing their education without pursuing an advanced degree.