Confusion about quotient spaces

In summary: We can define the quotient space X/Y as the set of all cosets x + Y of elements of X. There is an associated mapping \pi, called the quotient map, defined by \pi(x) = x + Y. If X is a topological vector space and Y is a subspace, we can define the quotient space X/Y as the set of all cosets x + Y of elements of X. There is an associated mapping \pi, called the quotient map, defined by \pi(x) = x + Y. If I'm not mistaken, there is an equivalence relation lurking here, too: x \sim y iff \pi (x) = \pi(y).In summary, the quotient space X/Y is
AxiomOfChoice
If [itex]X[/itex] is a topological vector space and [itex]Y[/itex] is a subspace, we can define the quotient space [itex]X/Y[/itex] as the set of all cosets [itex]x + Y[/itex] of elements of [itex]X[/itex]. There is an associated mapping [itex]\pi[/itex], called the quotient map, defined by [itex]\pi(x) = x + Y[/itex]. If I'm not mistaken, there is an equivalence relation lurking here, too: [itex]x \sim y[/itex] iff [itex]\pi (x) = \pi(y)[/itex].

Here's my question: We know that if [itex]f[/itex] is some function, then [itex]x\in f^{-1}(A)[/itex] if and only if [itex]f(x) \in A[/itex]. This is fine - the object on the left of the [itex]\in[/itex] is a point, and the object on the right is a set. But if one tries to apply this to the quotient map and a subset [itex]V\subset X[/itex], we have [itex]x \in \pi^{-1}(\pi(V)) [/itex] iff [itex]\pi(x) \in \pi(V)[/itex]. The object on the left of the [itex]\in[/itex] here is a set; the object on the right is a set. So what the heck is this supposed to mean? Did the [itex]\in[/itex] turn into a [itex]\subset[/itex] somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
If [itex]X[/itex] is a topological vector space and [itex]Y[/itex] is a subspace, we can define the quotient space [itex]X/Y[/itex] as the set of all cosets [itex]x + Y[/itex] of elements of [itex]X[/itex]. There is an associated mapping [itex]\pi[/itex], called the quotient map, defined by [itex]\pi(x) = x + Y[/itex]. If I'm not mistaken, there is an equivalence relation lurking here, too: [itex]x \sim y[/itex] iff [itex]\pi (x) = \pi(y)[/itex].

Here's my question: We know that if [itex]f[/itex] is some function, then [itex]x\in f^{-1}(A)[/itex] if and only if [itex]f(x) \in A[/itex]. This is fine - the object on the left of the [itex]\in[/itex] is a point, and the object on the right is a set. But if one tries to apply this to the quotient map and a subset [itex]V\subset X[/itex], we have [itex]x \in \pi^{-1}(\pi(V)) [/itex] iff [itex]\pi(x) \in \pi(V)[/itex]. The object on the left of the [itex]\in[/itex] here is a set; the object on the right is a set. So what the heck is this supposed to mean? Did the [itex]\in[/itex] turn into a [itex]\subset[/itex] somehow?

Have you ever seen Inception?? What I am about to explain is kind of like inception.

The set [itex]\pi(V)[/itex] is actually a set whose elements are sets, themselves. Thus, the coset [itex]x+Y[/itex] is actually an element of the quotient space [itex]X/Y[/itex]. HOWEVER, you must be careful when talking about the inverse of this projection. The function [itex]\pi[/itex] is NOT injective. For example, say [itex]V = \{x,y\}[/itex] then [itex]\pi(V)=\{x+Y,y+Y\}[/itex]. Now, you might be tempted to say that [itex]\pi^{-1} \pi(V) = \{x,y\}[/itex] but this need not be.

Since [itex]\pi:X\rightarrow X/Y[/itex] and [itex]V\subset X[/itex], [itex]\pi(x)\in\pi(V)[/itex] indicates that a member of X/Y is a member of a subset of X/Y. The fact that the members of X/Y are subsets of X is irrelevant.

Fredrik said:
The fact that the members of X/Y are subsets of X is irrelevant.

In what sense?

Robert1986 said:
In what sense?
In every sense, but specifically in the sense that it's not a reason to think that the formula [itex]\pi(x)\in\pi(V)[/itex] indicates that there's something really weird going on. (Post #1 suggests that he expects to never see a formula [itex]A\in B[/itex] where A is a set).

OK. I agree that it is irrelevant when it comes to the OP's question (in the sense that nothing weird is going on). However, the fact that the elements of the quotient space are sets is not irrelevant in every sense, is it? For example, when defining operations in a quotient space one must be careful to make sure that the operations are well defined. Same thing when describing maps from the quotient space to somewhere else. So, while I agree that it might be irrelevant, in some sense, w.r.t the OP's question, I can't agree that it is irrelevant in every sense.

Ok, thanks guys. I've been going through the section on quotient spaces in Rudin's Functional Analysis and have managed to confuse myself in a few spots regarding this issue. For example...suppose I want to show [itex]\pi^{-1}(\pi(x)) = Y + x[/itex]. I might try to do this by first showing [itex]\pi^{-1}(\pi(x)) \subset Y + x[/itex]. So if [itex]z\in \pi^{-1}(\pi(x))[/itex], then [itex]\pi(z) \in \pi(x)[/itex], right? So does that mean that [itex]z + Y \subset x + Y[/itex], both considered to be subsets of [itex]X[/itex]? And wouldn't that imply the existence of [itex]y_1,y_2\in Y[/itex] such that [itex]x+y_1 = z+y_2[/itex]; i.e., [itex]x + Y \ni x + (y_1 - y_2) = z[/itex]? Is there an easier/more elegant way to show this?

And the reverse inclusion would go something like so: [itex]z\in Y + x \Rightarrow \pi(z) \in \pi(Y) + \pi(x) = Y + \pi(x)[/itex], so [itex]z + Y \subset Y + x + Y \subset x + Y[/itex]; hence [itex]\pi(z) \in \pi(x)[/itex]; hence [itex]z \in \pi^{-1}(\pi(x))[/itex]. Does that look right?

Also, is it accurate to say that if [itex]V\subset X[/itex], then [itex]\pi(V) = \bigcup\limits_{v\in V} v + Y = \bigcup\limits_{y\in Y} y + V[/itex]?

Now I see what's confusing you, because it confused me too when I started writing this reply. We have [itex]\pi(x)=x+Y[/itex], by definition of [itex]\pi[/itex]. So the equality you wrote as [itex]\pi^{-1}(\pi(x))=x+Y[/itex] can also be written as [itex]\pi^{-1}(x+Y)=x+Y[/itex]. Since x+Y is an element of the codomain of [itex]\pi[/itex], not a subset, we have [itex]\pi^{-1}(x+Y)=\{y\in X|\pi(y)=x+Y\}[/itex]. Note the equality sign where you wrote a [itex]\in[/itex] symbol. So the proof of the first identity you mentioned is [tex]z\in\pi^{-1}(y+X)\ \Leftrightarrow\ \pi(z)=x+Y\ \Leftrightarrow\ z+Y= x+Y\ \Leftrightarrow\ z\in y+Y.[/tex]
AxiomOfChoice said:
Also, is it accurate to say that if [itex]V\subset X[/itex], then [itex]\pi(V) = \bigcup\limits_{v\in V} v + Y = \bigcup\limits_{y\in Y} y + V[/itex]?
No. [itex]\pi(V)[/itex] is a subset of X/Y, and [itex]\bigcup_{v\in V}(v+Y)[/itex] is a subset of X.

Last edited:

Related to Confusion about quotient spaces

1. What is a quotient space?

A quotient space is a mathematical concept that is used in various fields such as linear algebra, topology, and group theory. It is essentially a space that is created by "collapsing" or identifying certain points in a given space. This collapsing is done in a way that preserves the relevant structure of the original space.

2. How is a quotient space different from a regular space?

In a regular space, all points are considered distinct and have their own unique identities. In a quotient space, certain points are identified and considered equivalent. This allows us to reduce the complexity of a space and study its essential properties in a simpler form.

3. What are some real-world applications of quotient spaces?

Quotient spaces have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in the study of symmetry in physical systems, in signal processing and image compression, and in the development of artificial intelligence algorithms.

4. How are quotient spaces related to equivalence relations?

Quotient spaces are closely related to equivalence relations, as the process of identifying points in a space to create a quotient space is essentially creating equivalence classes. These equivalence classes represent the different "versions" of a space that are considered equivalent in some way.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about quotient spaces?

One common misconception about quotient spaces is that they are always simpler or lower-dimensional than the original space. While this is often the case, it is not always true. In fact, in some cases, the quotient space can have a higher dimension than the original space. Another misconception is that quotient spaces are only used in advanced mathematics; however, they have many practical applications and can be understood at a basic level with some foundational knowledge in mathematics.