Crest to Crest Velocity of Tsunami

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: Crest velocity is not equal to wavelength/T. So vph = sqrt g(D+A) is not required for energy propagation.In summary, a tsunami traveling in deep ocean has a crest velocity of 800km/hr.
morrobay
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Wavelength for Tsunami is 200 km and velocity is 800 km/hour. What is crest to crest velocity?
A tsunami traveling in deep ocean.
So suppose a tsunami with 200km wavelength is traveling at 800km/hr. Given these are are transverse waves. How is the crest to crest velocity calculated ? For above: 200km/800km/hr would the elapsed time (period) be 15 minutes between passing crests. So there is a crest, then 15 minutes later and 200 km farther there is another crest, correct ?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
morrobay said:
Given these are are transverse waves.
This is a popular view of surface water waves ('gravity waves') but in fact there is a great deal of longitudinal displacement as well as vertical displacement. Motion of water particles is in a closed curve - forward and backward and up and down.

Yes and with k = .0314 , w = 25.12, T=.25, wavelength 200km. Then v = wavelength/T = w/k = 800km/hr

Sorry for my ignorance, but is a tsunami wave more than just a single impulse? I've never seen a tsunami (arrival) video with more than a single impulse/inundation wave.

berkeman said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but is a tsunami wave more than just a single impulse? I've never seen a tsunami (arrival) video with more than a single impulse/inundation wave.
There is one event but it seems able to generate a wave train: Event 1600 km offshore. Wavelength 200km and velocity 800km/hour. T = .25 hr. So in the Two hours the wave is traveling to land wouldn't there be 8 crests/waves in train ? Edit. Maybe one event=one wave

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
This is a popular view of surface water waves ('gravity waves') but in fact there is a great deal of longitudinal displacement as well as vertical displacement. Motion of water particles is in a closed curve - forward and backward and up and down.
The confusion I have with the tsunami traveling at 800 km/hr(my data above)is that implies that the wave crest is moving across the sea surface at 800km/hr. But this is not the case. In linked paper here author states it is the energy propagation traveling 800km/hr and the crest velocity much lower. See 4
Screenshot_2022-09-12-21-39-17-66.jpg

From this paper
Screenshot_2022-09-12-21-52-43-26.jpg

@morrobay
Sorry but the resolution on your scan is just not good enough to read. Can you they it with 300dpi please?

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
@morrobay
Sorry but the resolution on your scan is just not good enough to read. Can you they it with 300dpi please?
The paper does not attach. So just search: Wave Propagation, Tsunami Speed... By Truong. Then see 4. Thanks

How about a link?

sophiecentaur said:
Thanks.
Which part are you having a problem with? Is it the apparent paradox that the 'slow disturbance' propagates very fast? (as in the sentence
"This phase velocity is the velocity of energy propagation, not the velocity of the water itself.")
Thanks I just woke up 0600. Yes that is the question. So as in post #4 above then the crest velocity does not equal wavelength/T and w/k. Vph = sqrt g(D+A) is required for energy propagation that is independent of wave period.

Last edited:
morrobay said:
Thanks I just woke up 0600. Yes that is the question. So as in post #4 above then the crest velocity does not equal wavelength/T and w/k. Vph = sqrt g(D+A) is required for energy propagation that is independent of wave period.
What you are expecting is just not necessary. Imagine a loudspeaker cone that's vibrating at 100Hz. The cone is only moving slowly (peak velocity) if it moves by 5mm - peak speed would be in the order of 0.5m/s. That would be the max mean speed that the air particles would be moving. BUT the wave will leave at 330m/s. So wave speed and particle speed are not the same.

Likes morrobay
sophiecentaur said:
What you are expecting is just not necessary. Imagine a loudspeaker cone that's vibrating at 100Hz. The cone is only moving slowly (peak velocity) if it moves by 5mm - peak speed would be in the order of 0.5m/s. That would be the max mean speed that the air particles would be moving. BUT the wave will leave at 330m/s. So wave speed and particle speed are not the same.
Yes I understood vertical particle displacement in transverse wave propagation. The problem was in attempting to apply v = w/k , radians/sec / radians/m = meters/second to a tsunami wave. Because in other transverse waves w/k equals the phase velocity/ crest velocity. Obviously that would be impossible with a crest velocity 800km/hour on the open seas.
This screenshot explains tsunami propagation.
Screenshot_2022-09-14-09-34-58-22.jpg

morrobay said:
Yes I understood vertical particle displacement in transverse wave propagation.
My comment was about a longitudinal wave. (?)

sophiecentaur said:
So wave speed and particle speed are not the same.
Yes I know , I was replying to this last sentence that also applies to transverse waves

morrobay said:
Yes I know , I was replying to this last sentence that also applies to transverse waves
So does that solve your problem? You appear to have been trying to see a paradox where there isn't one.

Likes jim mcnamara and morrobay

Related to Crest to Crest Velocity of Tsunami

What is the crest to crest velocity of a tsunami?

The crest to crest velocity of a tsunami refers to the speed at which the wave travels from one crest to the next. This velocity can vary depending on the depth of the ocean and the distance the wave has to travel.

How is the crest to crest velocity of a tsunami measured?

The crest to crest velocity of a tsunami is typically measured using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges, buoys, and GPS systems. These instruments can track the movement of the wave and calculate its velocity.

What factors can affect the crest to crest velocity of a tsunami?

The crest to crest velocity of a tsunami can be influenced by several factors, including the strength and duration of the earthquake or underwater landslide that caused the tsunami, the depth of the ocean, and the distance the wave has to travel.

What is the average crest to crest velocity of a tsunami?

The average crest to crest velocity of a tsunami is around 500 miles per hour (800 kilometers per hour). However, this speed can vary depending on the factors mentioned above.

Can the crest to crest velocity of a tsunami be predicted?

While scientists can estimate the potential speed of a tsunami based on the factors involved, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact crest to crest velocity of a tsunami. This is due to the complex nature of the ocean and the many variables that can affect the wave's speed.