Determining the transfer function of a humidity chamber

In summary, the problem is that the humidifier runs off a system where its switched on, or off, and theres no control of how much steam it produces. The solution is to find a way to diffuse the steam well before it gets into the main chamber. Then experiment to see what it takes from the humidifier to slowly ramp up the humidity in the chamber.
Ben Jamin
I have created a mock up of a humidity chamber which i will soon be integrating into a temperature chamber for undergraduate project. I am confused on how i can control the system. I have currently a humidifier with a relay built in, this relay is going to switch on and off from a PWM signal generated in a controller. Also within the chamber i have a mini fan to mix the steam and a analogue voltage output humidity sensor which i can use to get feedback from the system. At the moment all of these are linked up to a computer but i need to design the controller. I was thinking PID.

Im having trouble modelling the system to work everything out. The plan was to introduce a step response in terms of duty cycle so say 20% and then check the corresponding voltage output obtained from the sensor.

Im having trouble working out how i can find the transfer function of the system and generally modelling the system for control analysis. How can a step response in terms of % create a transfer function with an output in volts.

The humidifier runs at 6 volts so its either switched on (6 volts) or off (0 Volts)

Once iv done this i need to design the controller

Any advice would be great thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ben Jamin said:
I have created a mock up of a humidity chamber which i will soon be integrating into a temperature chamber for undergraduate project. I am confused on how i can control the system. I have currently a humidifier with a relay built in, this relay is going to switch on and off from a PWM signal generated in a controller. Also within the chamber i have a mini fan to mix the steam and a analogue voltage output humidity sensor which i can use to get feedback from the system. At the moment all of these are linked up to a computer but i need to design the controller. I was thinking PID.

Im having trouble modelling the system to work everything out. The plan was to introduce a step response in terms of duty cycle so say 20% and then check the corresponding voltage output obtained from the sensor.

Im having trouble working out how i can find the transfer function of the system and generally modelling the system for control analysis. How can a step response in terms of % create a transfer function with an output in volts.

The humidifier runs at 6 volts so its either switched on (6 volts) or off (0 Volts)

Once iv done this i need to design the controller

Any advice would be great thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

The humidity chambers that we use at work typically are pretty closed systems, so you don't lose much humidity from just air circulation. So you need to add humidity very slowly, or you will cause condensation, which is a bad thing generally in humidity testing.

So I would focus on how you can diffuse the moisture well in the air stream before it gets into the main chamber, to be sure you don't get condensation. Then you can do some experiments to see what it takes from the humidifier to slowly ramp up the humidity in the chamber. In most chambers that I've worked with, it takes hours to ramp the humidity up and down.

Thanks for your reply, my lecture recommended that i simply insert a generic household or office humidifier into a cardboard box and introduce a step response in the duty cycle (It runs off a PWM signal). Then he recombined i develop a controller with the ability to alter the humidity given a set point.

From your response it seems my main concern is mixing the steam into the airstream, the problem is the humidifier runs off a system where its switched on, or off. Theres no control of how much steam it produces. How would you recommend me ramping up the humidity just for the purpose of developing the controller. In the main chamber it will be introduced through a piping system which circulates the air using a fan and will be coupled with a temperature system. Hopefully the controller can be developed to decouple the two by introducing a step response to each system and finding the inverse of these to alter the transfer function.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Determining the transfer function of a humidity chamber

1. How do you determine the transfer function of a humidity chamber?

To determine the transfer function of a humidity chamber, you will need to measure the input and output variables such as humidity, temperature, and airflow. Then, using mathematical calculations and modeling techniques, you can establish the relationship between the input and output variables, resulting in the transfer function.

2. What is the purpose of determining the transfer function of a humidity chamber?

The transfer function of a humidity chamber is important for understanding and controlling the environmental conditions within the chamber. It allows us to predict the output variables based on the input variables, which is crucial for maintaining specific humidity levels for various experiments and processes.

3. How do you measure the input and output variables of a humidity chamber?

To measure the input and output variables, you will need to use sensors and instruments such as hygrometers, thermometers, and anemometers. These devices can be placed inside the chamber to collect data on humidity, temperature, and airflow, which are essential for determining the transfer function.

4. What factors can affect the transfer function of a humidity chamber?

The transfer function of a humidity chamber can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the sensors used, the design and construction of the chamber, and external environmental conditions. It is essential to consider these factors when determining the transfer function to ensure accurate results.

5. Can the transfer function of a humidity chamber change over time?

Yes, the transfer function of a humidity chamber can change over time. Factors such as regular maintenance and calibration of sensors, changes in external environmental conditions, and wear and tear of the chamber can impact the transfer function. It is important to monitor and update the transfer function periodically for accurate and reliable results.