Difficulty in learning tensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tensors in coordinates and the process of dividing both sides of a partial derivative equation to get a simplified form. The method used involves multiplying both sides by the inverse and using the chain rule. There is also mention of a theorem in linear algebra that states a non-singular matrix will result in a zero solution. Overall, the conversation delves into the technicalities of solving equations involving tensors and partial derivatives.
grzz
Let r[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] be a tensor in coordinates x[itex]^{c}[/itex] and R[itex]_{b}[/itex] be a tensor in coordinates X[itex]^{c}[/itex].
Then let r[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] = 0.

Then {[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0.
I read in a book that one can divide both sides of the last equation by the partial derivative to get R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0.
I do not understand how this can be done since the partial derivative is summed over together with the R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex].
Can somebody help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I understand to do it is the following:

{[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

Multiplying both sides by {[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]} we get

{[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]} {[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

i.e. {[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

[itex]\delta[/itex][itex]^{\nu}_{\lambda}[/itex]R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

R[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex] = 0.

Is the above method too long?

Thanks for any help.

It's a theorem in linear algebra. If A is non-singular, and Ab=0, then b=0. If dX/dx is singular, you have other problems.

Thanks K^2.

Is the method I used ok?

grzz said:
Is the method I used ok?
Yes it is. Note that what you're doing on the line that starts with "i.e." is to use the chain rule.

Is the method above, using Kronecker's delta, considered a long method?

Nothing that only covers a few short lines is ever considered a long method. :smile:

The only way to do it shorter is to note that you started with a matrix equation in component form, and if you multiply it with the inverse...but that might require some explanation, and it would look a lot like what you just said.

Thanks a lot, Fredrik

Related to Difficulty in learning tensors

1. What are tensors and why are they difficult to learn?

Tensors are mathematical objects that are used to represent and manipulate multidimensional data. They are commonly used in physics and engineering for understanding and describing physical phenomena. Tensors can be difficult to learn because they require a deep understanding of linear algebra and vector calculus, which can be complex and abstract concepts for many people.

2. How can I improve my understanding of tensors?

One way to improve your understanding of tensors is to practice solving problems and working with different types of tensors. You can also try visualizing tensors using diagrams or animations to better understand their properties. Additionally, studying the underlying mathematical concepts and theories behind tensors can help deepen your understanding.

3. What are some common applications of tensors?

Tensors have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and data science. They are used to analyze and describe physical phenomena such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. In data science, tensors are used for tasks such as image and speech recognition, natural language processing, and recommender systems.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help with learning tensors?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available that can aid in learning tensors. Some popular textbooks on tensors include "Tensor Calculus" by J.L. Synge and A. Schild, and "Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity and Cosmology" by Derek F. Lawden. Online courses and tutorials, such as those on Coursera or Khan Academy, can also be helpful for understanding tensors.

5. What are some common mistakes when learning tensors?

One common mistake when learning tensors is not having a strong foundation in linear algebra and vector calculus. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts before diving into tensors. Another mistake is not practicing enough with solving problems and working with tensors, as this can lead to a superficial understanding. It is also important to avoid blindly memorizing formulas and instead focus on understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind tensors.