Double integrals, trying to be sure I am not doing something wrong

• Thread starter Emspak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the incorrect solution diverges from the correct solution when integrating by parts and integrating again.
Emspak
1. evaluate the following:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y dydx

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so this should be pretty simple. But for some reason I am having trouble integrating the yex+y bit with respect to y. If I do it by parts I end up with iterations like this:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y - [itex]\int^{}_{}[/itex]ex+yxdy dx

And integrating again I got

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y - ex+yx [itex]|^{1}_{0}[/itex] dx plugging in the relevant values I got

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xex+1-xex+1 - xex + xexdx

which with the latter terms cancelling gets you [itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xex+1-xex+1 dxAnd the whole thing should go to zero.

OK, did I do this whole bit correctly? I want to make sure that I am not doing something stupid. If I did it right, wonderful. (I know this might sound kind of silly to post a problem that I think I did correctly, but it never hurts to have another pair of eyes)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have time to run through your work right now, but surely something is wrong since your integrand is positive. You must have a positive result. Why don't you try writing ##e^{x+y} = e^xe^y## and separate the integrals. Really easy then.

Emspak said:
1. evaluate the following:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y dydx

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so this should be pretty simple. But for some reason I am having trouble integrating the yex+y bit with respect to y. If I do it by parts I end up with iterations like this:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y - [itex]\int^{}_{}[/itex]ex+yxdy dx

And integrating again I got

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y - ex+yx [itex]|^{1}_{0}[/itex] dx

You're correct up to here. After here is where your solution diverges from correct solution.

P.S. It may be helpful in the future to check computationally:

Thanks, I did it again and I realized I forgot the y component. D'OH!

Related to Double integrals, trying to be sure I am not doing something wrong

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that is used to calculate the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

In a single integral, the function is integrated over a one-dimensional interval. In a double integral, the function is integrated over a two-dimensional region.

3. How do I know if I am setting up the limits of integration correctly?

To set up the limits of integration correctly, you need to understand the geometry of the region you are integrating over. This can be done by graphing the region or using other geometric concepts such as symmetry. You can also check your work by evaluating the integral using different limits and comparing the results.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integrals include mixing up the order of integration, not considering the correct limits of integration, and not properly setting up the integrand in terms of the correct variables.

5. Are there any applications of double integrals in real life?

Yes, double integrals have many applications in real life, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of an object, and calculating the total charge or mass of a two-dimensional distribution. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various physical, mechanical, and economic phenomena.