Electromagnetism: Finding Electric Field of non Uniform Charged Rod

In summary, olivia.belli3 found that the line density of a charge distribution is proportional to the square of the distance from the end, and that the electric field at the end of the rod is 9.99E10^11 Coulombs.
sky.flower1234

Homework Statement

Here is the question:

Thin rod AB has length l=100 cm and total charge q=37 nC that is distributed in such a way that its line density ? is proportional to the square of the distance from the end A, i.e. ?(x) =kx^2. Determine electric field E at the end A of the rod.

? stands for Lambda, sorry I do not understand TeX. I know that I need to integrate SOMETHING. How I do that I am not sure. Here are a couple of questions:

Homework Equations

- Can I assume that at 1m: (37nC)/1m=k(1^2) to find k? (or is k just 8.97E9?)
- Do I use the formula E=lambda/((2)(pi)(epsilson-nought)(x)) because this is a cylinder?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:

solve for k at 1m and see that it equals 37 nC (should I just convert that to C?)

input lambda into the equation and do an integral so you get: k(x^2)/((2)(pi)(epsilon-nought)(x)) from A (0) to B (1 m). From this I got that the integral is k(x^2)/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)). This is where would end the problem and put in my values.

I really just want to understand the problem, obviously there is something I am not getting.

Thanks in advance.

PS I know there is this exact question (I did my research on this problem before I came here). I didn't understand the explanation there so please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did the math and I got that the electric field equals 9.99E2 (this is converting nC to C)

what would my units be? C/m?

Welcome to PF, olivia.belli3!

(Have a λ :wink:)

olivia.belli3 said:
- Can I assume that at 1m: (37nC)/1m=k(1^2) to find k? (or is k just 8.97E9?)

Let's start here and try to find k.

Your line density λ defines how much charge is between x and x+dx measured from point A, where dx is a very small distance.
That is, the charge between x and x+dx is:
[tex]\lambda(x)dx = k x^2 dx[/tex]

To find the total charge you need to calculate the integral of these charges over the length of the rod.

I set up my integral that q= the integral of kx^2 dx to get that q=(kx^3)/3
from A=0 to B=1.

this means that k=3Q or k=111 nC (Do I convert to C?)

Thanks for your reply :)

olivia.belli3 said:
I set up my integral that q= the integral of kx^2 dx to get that q=(kx^3)/3
from A=0 to B=1.

this means that k=3Q or k=111 nC (Do I convert to C?)

Thanks for your reply :)

Right! :smile:

No need to convert from nC to C unless you really want to. ;)
However, your unit is not quite right, since you have that the charge q (coulomb) equals your k times x3 divided by 3. So what should the unit of k be?

Now for the electric field at point A.
I'm not sure where you got your formula, but you should use the formula from Coulomb's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law" ).

That is:
[tex]dE = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac {dQ} {r^2}[/tex]
where dE is the small contribution of a small charge [itex]dQ=\lambda(x)dx[/itex] at a distance r.

Can you apply this to your problem?
And integrate it over the length of the rod?

Last edited by a moderator:
well in that case my K= 111 nC/m^3.

So I have Q, of course I can integrate over the length of the rod using dr from 0 to 1, but I'm stuck. Where does k come in? I'm a little lost . I'm assuming that you meant to put QQ on the top instead of dQ? In that case I would taket he charge from A (which is zero) then take the charge from B which would lead me to to the answer, but how do you do that?

[tex]E_A = \int_0^{AB} dE = \int_0^{AB} \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac {\lambda(x)dx} {x^2}=\ ...[/tex]

Last edited:
Okay, so I integrated that and put in that lambda=kx^2 (since we know K I am assuming this is okay). I'm assuming that AB=1m?

I got that the integral equals k(x)/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)) from 0 to AB which I would think would equal K/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)).

Good! :smile:

so would my final answer be:

(111nC/m^3)(1m)/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)) to yield the electric field as: 9.99E10^11?

sorry 9.98E10^11

units would be nC/m^2

olivia.belli3 said:
sorry 9.98E10^11

Yep! :smile:

(Now would be a good time to convert nC to C. :wink:)

olivia.belli3 said:
units would be nC/m^2

Uhh, no.
Did you take the unit of [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] into account?

Btw, do you know how the electric field is related to the force it would exert on a charged object?
That might help you deduce the unit of the electric field.

Last edited:
Eek sorry! forgot about epsilon nought. The fnal units is N/C!

Thank you SO much!
I really appreciate you!

Any time! :smile:

Related to Electromagnetism: Finding Electric Field of non Uniform Charged Rod

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the interactions between electrically charged particles and the resulting electromagnetic fields.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force due to the presence of other charged particles. It is represented by a vector quantity and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How do you find the electric field of a non-uniform charged rod?

To find the electric field of a non-uniform charged rod, you can use the principle of superposition. This involves breaking down the rod into small charged elements and calculating the electric field at a point due to each element. The total electric field is then determined by summing up the contributions from each element.

Can the electric field of a non-uniform charged rod be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a non-uniform charged rod can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the positive charge. The magnitude of the electric field can also vary along the length of the rod, resulting in a non-uniform electric field.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a non-uniform charged rod?

The strength of the electric field of a non-uniform charged rod is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charges on the rod, as well as the distance from the rod. The electric field is stronger when the charges are closer together and weaker when they are further apart. The shape and orientation of the rod can also affect the strength of the electric field.