Electron Spin 'technicality' of sorts

In summary: So, for example, if you fill up to the 2p orbital, and then put two electrons in, the 1st electron in the x-orbital would have a spin of +1/2, and the second electron in the y-orbital would have a spin of -1/2.
stmoe
I can't really find the section to put this in, it has to do with Chemistry .. but . really.. Quantum Chemistry and like..well, doing quantum numbers my teacher asked whether or not the first electron in an orbital was + 1/2 or -1/2. When doing it on my own I always just write 1/2 , and then +/- when the electron is paired , but my teacher is forcing a "class consensus." I kind of argued that it doesn't matter because its about the perspective , but he swears that there is something that dictates it.

My reasoning for the 1/2 has always been that while its just the electron by itself it doesn't matter if its plus or minus, i just make sure that they all fillt he same , as soon as another is put in there, then I write its spin to characterize it with accordance to the other.

I've searched high and low on the internet , and haven't had any luck finding anything that talks about it to any great depth. However I'm probably using some dumb vocabulary for what I'm wanting.

So, for example.. you fill the up to the 2p orbital ... and then you put 2 electrons in .. 1 to the x and the other to the y ... Have I assumed correctly in that the spin of these is going tobe the same , spin x = spin y, or can the one in the x be -1/2 while the one in the y be 1/2? .. And, Is there any order for noting them? first e- in the px is +1/2 and 2nd is -1/2 or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
stmoe said:
I can't really find the section to put this in, it has to do with Chemistry .. but . really.. Quantum Chemistry and like..well, doing quantum numbers my teacher asked whether or not the first electron in an orbital was + 1/2 or -1/2. When doing it on my own I always just write 1/2 , and then +/- when the electron is paired , but my teacher is forcing a "class consensus." I kind of argued that it doesn't matter because its about the perspective , but he swears that there is something that dictates it.
Hmmm, now or you missed completely what your teacher told you, OR he/she is, eh, how should I put this without missing respect towards him/her...
You are of course totally right that it doesn't matter whether you call it +1/2 or -1/2 ! Change the direction of the z-axis and you flip the sign :smile:
Now, if for some odd reason he wants you all to normalize to a certain convention, why not, but you are right that this is purely conventional. But sometimes conventions are useful (for instance, to speed up correcting homework)

HOWEVER, when filling in 2 or more electrons into two orbitals, it DOES matter what RELATIVE spin they have, and that's because there's a tiny interaction between the spins that favors "equal spin" a very small amount over "opposite spin". This is called Hund's rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hund's_rule

cheers,
Patrick.

yeah, i always just made sure that when i had the general 1/2 out there that when I had to pick a sign I did.
Example : px1 py1 pz1 all with 1/2... px2 py1 pz1 3 with +1/2 and 1 with -1/2, or visa versa

thanks

Related to Electron Spin 'technicality' of sorts

1. What is electron spin?

Electron spin is a fundamental property of electrons, which is a type of subatomic particle. It refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of an electron, which can be thought of as the electron's rotation on its own axis.

2. How is electron spin related to magnetism?

Electron spin is closely related to magnetism, as it is the source of an electron's magnetic moment. A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field created by a particle. In the case of electrons, their spin creates a magnetic moment, which can interact with external magnetic fields.

3. Can electron spin be observed directly?

No, electron spin cannot be observed directly. This is because electron spin is a quantum mechanical property, and it exists in a superposition of states until it is measured. However, its effects can be observed and measured through various experiments and technologies.

4. How does electron spin contribute to the periodic table?

Electron spin plays a crucial role in determining the electron configuration of atoms, which in turn determines their place in the periodic table. The Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers, is based on the concept of electron spin. This principle allows for the organization of elements in the periodic table according to their electron configurations.

5. Can the direction of electron spin be changed?

Yes, the direction of electron spin can be changed through various processes such as interactions with external magnetic fields or collisions with other particles. This change in spin can also lead to changes in the properties and behavior of electrons, making electron spin an important factor in many scientific fields, including materials science and quantum computing.