Euler Equations, Sod shock tube & conservation

In summary: This is why, even though the initial conditions imply that momentum should be conserved, it is not observed in the simulation. In summary, the Euler equations in conservative form do not take into account dissipative forces, therefore, momentum is not conserved in the Sod shock tube problem.
Antigravity324
Is momentum conserved?
I am considering the Euler equations in conservative form and solving the Sod shock tube problem I have written a Godunov finite volume type solver. It solves for density ρ, momentum ρu, and total energy E; therefore, I would expect all of these quantities to be conserved wrt time. Density and total energy are indeed conserved, however, momentum is not.
The Euler equations are given by
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
\rho \\ \rho u \\ E
\end{bmatrix}_t
+
\begin{bmatrix}
\rho u \\ \rho u^2 + p \\ u(E +p)
\end{bmatrix}_x
= 0
[/tex]
where pressure is related to the conserved quantities by
[tex]
p = (\gamma - 1)(E - 0.5 \rho u^2)
[/tex]
The Sod shock problem splits the domain into two regions separated by a density and pressure discontinuity with initial velocity zero. That is, [tex]\rho_L = 1, \rho_R = .125; p_L=1, p_R =.1; u_L=u_R =0 [/tex] These initial conditions imply that ρu=0, therefore, momentum should be zero throughout the simulation.

The solution profiles are well known and can be found here or here. We see that ρ >0 and u > 0, therefore, there is no way for momentum ρu = 0 (which it should be from the intial conditions). As a result, I do not even see why it is reasonable to expect that momentum would be conserved. A paper by Sod himself which surveys some methods for solution, on page 20, list a table which shows momentum is not conserved, but no reason why. I generally do not work in this area, so maybe I am missing something basic. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, momentum is not conserved. This is because the Euler equations are only valid for ideal fluids, which do not take into account viscous or dissipative forces that act to reduce the momentum of a system. As the fluid flows and encounters obstacles or other fluid elements, some of its momentum is dissipated and converted into heat. Over time, this can lead to a decrease in the total momentum of the system.

Related to Euler Equations, Sod shock tube & conservation

1. What are Euler Equations?

Euler Equations are a set of equations used in fluid dynamics to describe the motion of inviscid fluids. They are based on the principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy.

2. What is a Sod shock tube?

A Sod shock tube is a classic test case used in computational fluid dynamics to simulate a shock wave propagating through a gas. It consists of a long tube that is divided into two sections by a diaphragm. One side is filled with a high-pressure gas, while the other side is filled with a low-pressure gas. When the diaphragm is suddenly removed, a shock wave is created as the high-pressure gas rushes into the low-pressure side.

3. How are conservation laws used in fluid dynamics?

The conservation laws, namely conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, are used in fluid dynamics to ensure that the equations of motion accurately describe the behavior of fluids. These laws state that mass, momentum, and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. By using these laws, we can accurately predict how fluids will behave in various scenarios.

4. What is conservation of mass in fluid dynamics?

Conservation of mass in fluid dynamics refers to the principle that the total mass of a fluid remains constant, even as it flows and changes shape. This means that the mass entering a certain region must equal the mass leaving that same region, and any changes in density or volume must be accounted for.

5. How do Euler Equations relate to the Sod shock tube?

The Euler Equations are used to simulate the behavior of fluids in the Sod shock tube. These equations describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, which are all important factors in understanding the dynamics of the shock wave created in the tube. By solving the Euler Equations, we can accurately predict the behavior of the gas in the Sod shock tube.