Exploring the Exciting World of Cosmology for Aspiring Physicists

• Thread starter alice87368
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you had to put a lot of work into learning the material on your own, and that it wasn't easy.
alice87368
help please. what field is this?

okay, so i want to be a physicist. but I am not sure what kind of physicist this is: i want to work on the warping of spacetime, and parallel universes, and stuff like that. i talked to my proffesor and he said that is cosmology, but would that require TONS of math? i just don't know what to do. i love the universe. but i don't want to be an astronomer, i want to work on the physics of it all.

Physics news on Phys.org

Physics publication also requires proper english.

what is wrong with my english? and if there is something wrong with it I am pretty sure you can figure out what i mean

I did not realize that was your first post on PF. So welcome to PF. Yes I can figure out what you mean, but please remember our guidelines
In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.

Do I get it right that you want to be a theoretician, not an experimentalist ?

If you want to be a theoretical cosmologist, yes, the math level in cosmological string-inspired models is fairly high. There are not many professionals in this field actually, and getting a position will require a genuine contribution, new ideas. From my point of view, it is desirable that you have enough time to study in advance on your own things which are not taught in your regular courses yet. That should give you a taste of or glimpse at what research is. However, it is imperative that you are already quite comfortable with the current material in your courses.

Gerard 't Hooft has a dedicated webpage full of good advices.

Okay, so you are saying that I should do work on things that are above the level I am on, but first, I should be comfortable with the material that I am learning now? Only I donnt really understand what you meant when you said that will give me a glimpse or taste on what research is.

When you do research, first you read what has been by others in the field. You study their solutions. That is very similar to studying textbooks on your own, except the material is usually not as well written. So by studying on your own, you get a good preparation for research : you realize how different it is from regular classes. It takes a lot of effort, but anything I studied in this manner, I never forgot.

alice87368 said:
okay, so i want to be a physicist. but I am not sure what kind of physicist this is: i want to work on the warping of spacetime, and parallel universes, and stuff like that. i talked to my proffesor and he said that is cosmology, but would that require TONS of math? i just don't know what to do. i love the universe. but i don't want to be an astronomer, i want to work on the physics of it all.
Those subjects do require "tons" of math. Almost everything in theoretical physics does. The most math-heavy fields are the quantum theories of gravity, and mathematically rigorous quantum field theory.

"Warping of spacetime" would be general relativity, or some quantum theory of gravity. The former is a pretty math-heavy subject that requires that you have mastered differential geometry, and the latter is much, much more math-heavy than that.

"Parallel universes"...there's more than one kind. The many-worlds interpretation of QM is the kind that requires the least math, and I also think most of the work that's been done about it is garbage, and that there's still stuff worth doing in that area. But "interpretations" aren't considered a priority by many physicists, and it's possible that you'd need a lot of math (possible including some heavy functional analysis, which is even worse than differential geometry) to be able to come up with something interesting to say about a many-worlds interpretation.

There's also a kind of "parallel" universe that can be a part of some cosmological models. Some of them require a lot of math, and some don't. But they all require that you know some differential geometry at least.

humanino said:
So by studying on your own, you get a good preparation for research : you realize how different it is from regular classes. It takes a lot of effort, but anything I studied in this manner, I never forgot.
It would have been so awesome if it worked that way for me. I learned almost everything I know the hard way, but only a few things really stuck in my memory because of it.

Related to Exploring the Exciting World of Cosmology for Aspiring Physicists

What is the field of study for "Help what field is this?"

The field of study for "Help what field is this?" is typically related to determining the subject or topic of a given research or project. This can vary depending on the specific field of science, but it often involves identifying the key concepts or theories that are being explored.

How do I determine the field of a research or project?

Determining the field of a research or project can be done by examining the main objectives, methods, and outcomes of the study. It is also helpful to look at the background and expertise of the individuals involved in the research or project. Additionally, considering the funding sources or affiliations can also provide insight into the field of study.

Why is it important to know the field of a research or project?

Knowing the field of a research or project is important because it helps to contextualize and understand the purpose and implications of the study. It also allows for better communication and collaboration with others in the same field, and can aid in finding relevant and credible sources of information.

What are the different fields of science?

The different fields of science include biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, and environmental science, among others. Each of these fields can be further broken down into more specific areas of study, such as genetics, organic chemistry, astronomy, geology, and ecology.

How can I determine which field of science my research or project falls under?

To determine which field of science your research or project falls under, you can consider the main subject or topic being studied and compare it to the different fields of science. You can also consult with experts or colleagues in related fields for their input and guidance.