Find Expected Number of Cakes per Person: Bernoulli to Gamma

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the expected number of cakes a person can receive when there are w cakes and n people, distributed randomly according to different probability distributions such as Bernoulli, Binomial, Poisson, Uniform, Exponential, Normal, Chi-square, and Gamma. The speaker is seeking help with this problem and mentions they are not knowledgeable in probability and statistics. The conversation emphasizes the importance of discussing one's own thoughts and attempts before seeking help.
ackr1201
Solve this??

There are w cakes and n people. The cakes are distributed to people randomly. Find the expected number of cakes a 'i' person can receive. The distribution is:
a) Bernoulli distribution

b) Binomial distribution

c) Poisson distribution

d) Uniform distribution

e) Exponential distribution

f) Normal distribution

g) Chi-square distribution

h) Gamma distribution

Physics news on Phys.org

what did you try??
Is the distribution discrete or continuous??

@micro mass : I didn't get.. I am poor at propbabilty and statistics

It follows discrete distribution

Plz help me..

I am helping you, but I'm not just telling the answer until you tell me what you think and what you tried.

To solve this problem, we can use the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution. This distribution is a mixture of the Bernoulli and Gamma distributions, and it is commonly used to model the number of successes in a sequence of independent trials. In this case, the "success" would be receiving a cake.

To find the expected number of cakes per person, we first need to calculate the probability of success in a single trial. This can be done by dividing the total number of cakes (w) by the total number of people (n). Let's call this probability p.

Next, we can use the formula for the expected value of a Gamma distribution, which is E[X] = kθ, where k is the shape parameter and θ is the scale parameter. In this case, k would be n (the number of trials) and θ would be p (the probability of success).

Therefore, the expected number of cakes per person would be n * p = w/n. This means that on average, each person would receive w/n cakes.

In conclusion, by using the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution, we can find the expected number of cakes per person in this scenario. It is important to note that this is an expected value and does not guarantee that each person will receive exactly w/n cakes, as the distribution is random.

Related to Find Expected Number of Cakes per Person: Bernoulli to Gamma

1. What is the purpose of using Bernoulli to Gamma in finding the expected number of cakes per person?

The Bernoulli to Gamma distribution is used to model the number of successes in a sequence of independent Bernoulli trials. In the context of finding the expected number of cakes per person, it allows us to calculate the average number of cakes that each person is expected to receive based on the probability of success in each trial.

2. How is the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution related to the expected number of cakes per person?

The expected number of cakes per person is equal to the product of the number of Bernoulli trials and the probability of success in each trial, which can be represented by the Gamma distribution. Therefore, by using the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution, we can find the expected number of cakes per person.

3. What are the key assumptions made when using Bernoulli to Gamma in finding the expected number of cakes per person?

The key assumptions are that the trials are independent and each trial has a constant probability of success. Additionally, the number of trials must be fixed and the outcome of one trial must not affect the outcome of any other trials.

4. How do you calculate the expected number of cakes per person using the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution?

The expected number of cakes per person can be calculated by multiplying the number of trials by the probability of success in each trial. In the context of cakes, the number of trials would be the number of people, and the probability of success would be the likelihood of a person receiving a cake. This calculation can be represented using the formula E[X] = n * p, where E[X] is the expected value, n is the number of trials, and p is the probability of success.

5. Can the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution be used to find the expected number of cakes per person in any situation?

No, the Bernoulli to Gamma distribution is specifically used for situations where the number of successes in a sequence of independent Bernoulli trials needs to be modeled. It is not applicable in all situations and other distributions may be more appropriate for finding the expected number of cakes per person depending on the specific scenario.