Double Integral
Triple Integral
Cylindrical coordinate
Spherical coordinate
1699762071546.png

My attempt:
The shape of the hyperboloid would be like this:
1699762162792.png

If the hyperbolod is cut by plane z = d, the intersection would be a ellipse. Projecting the intersection to xy - plane, I think I get:
$$-2\leq x \leq 2$$
$$-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} \leq y \leq b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}$$

So the volume would be:
$$V=2 \times \int_{-2}^{2} \int_{-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}} \left(c\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}-1}\right)dydx$$

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Projecting the intersection to xy - plane, I think I get:
$$-2\leq x \leq 2$$
Where did the 2 come from? This seems entirely random to me.

songoku said:
$$-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} \leq y \leq b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}$$
For example, what happens here if ##a = 0.1## and ##x=2##?

songoku said:
So the volume would be:
$$V=2 \times \int_{-2}^{2} \int_{-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}} \left(c\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}-1}\right)dydx$$
This cannot be right. For example, think about what happens to the integrand when ##x=y=0##.

songoku said:
Is this correct?
No. I would suggest a different approach entirely. You seem to want to integrate the z value over the relevant x-y region but this is unnecessarily difficult. For example, inside the ellipse ##(x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2=1##, the height of the desired region is ##2d##. Outside of that region it is given by a different expession.

Likes songoku
I would use scaled cylindrical coordinates [itex](r, \theta, \zeta)[/itex], where [tex]\begin{split}
x &= ar\cos \theta, \\
y &= br\sin \theta, \\
z &= c\zeta. \end{split}[/tex]

Likes songoku
Where do you get ##-2\leqslant x\leqslant 2##?

Putting ##z=0## we see that the shape is an ellipse. So we are stacking "elliptical cylinders" on top of each other. Figure out how the volume of each such cylinder changes based on ##0\leqslant z\leqslant d## and then integrate.

Fix ##z## and note that
[tex]
\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 + \frac{z^2}{c^2} \Leftrightarrow \frac{x^2}{a(z)^2} + \frac{y^2}{b(z)^2} = 1,
[/tex]
where
[tex]
a(z)^2 = a^2 \frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}\quad\mbox{and}\quad b(z)^2 = b^2\frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}.
[/tex]
Area of ellipse is ##\pi ab##.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
pasmith said:
I would use scaled cylindrical coordinates [itex](r, \theta, \zeta)[/itex], where [tex]\begin{split}
x &= ar\cos \theta, \\
y &= br\sin \theta, \\
I would just sum up the volumes of infinitesimally thick elliptical discs … aka slicing method

Likes songoku and SammyS
pasmith said:
x &= ar\cos \theta, \\
y &= br\sin \theta, \\
Sorry I don't think I have covered scaled cylindrical coordinates. Should it be taught in the same part as cylindrical coordinates or in different part?

Orodruin said:
Where did the 2 come from? This seems entirely random to me.
nuuskur said:
Where do you get ##-2\leqslant x\leqslant 2##?
My bad. It should be: ##-a\leq x \leq a##

Orodruin said:
For example, what happens here if ##a = 0.1## and ##x=2##?This cannot be right. For example, think about what happens to the integrand when ##x=y=0##.
It would be imaginary.

Orodruin said:
You seem to want to integrate the z value over the relevant x-y region but this is unnecessarily difficult. For example, inside the ellipse ##(x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2=1##, the height of the desired region is ##2d##. Outside of that region it is given by a different expession.
Yes you are correct, that was my idea o:)

nuuskur said:
Putting ##z=0## we see that the shape is an ellipse. So we are stacking "elliptical cylinders" on top of each other. Figure out how the volume of each such cylinder changes based on ##0\leqslant z\leqslant d## and then integrate.
Orodruin said:
I would just sum up the volumes of infinitesimally thick elliptical discs … aka slicing method
I can imagine the slicing and stacking part, so based on this hint I am imagining the integral would be something like this:
$$V=2\times \int_{0}^{d}f(z) dz$$

where ##f(z)## is the expression of the slice of ellipse being stacked upon. But I am struggling to find the appropriate expression for ##f(z)##

nuuskur said:
Fix ##z## and note that
[tex]
\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 + \frac{z^2}{c^2} \Leftrightarrow \frac{x^2}{a(z)^2} + \frac{y^2}{b(z)^2} = 1,
[/tex]
where
[tex]
a(z)^2 = a^2 \frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}\quad\mbox{and}\quad b(z)^2 = b^2\frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}.
[/tex]
Area of ellipse is ##\pi ab##.

I can follow the algebra but sorry I don't understand how to apply this to the question. Should I make z the subject of the equation (since I want to find ##f(z)##)?

Thanks

What is the volume of a cylinder with height ##dz## and base area ##A(z)##?

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
What is the volume of a cylinder with height ##dz## and base area ##A(z)##?
##A(z) dz##

Likes nuuskur
songoku said:
My bad. It should be: ##-a\leq x \leq a##
This cannot be correct. The permitted values of ##x## change based on ##z## - consider the graph. ##a## is just some fixed number, it does not depend on ##z##.
songoku said:
It would be imaginary.
Stay within ##\mathbb R^3##. There is no reason to overcomplicate.
songoku said:
I can imagine the slicing and stacking part, so based on this hint I am imagining the integral would be something like this:
$$V=2\times \int_{0}^{d}f(z) dz$$
Yes!
songoku said:
where ##f(z)## is the expression of the slice of ellipse being stacked upon. But I am struggling to find the appropriate expression for ##f(z)##
It is the area of the ellipse for a fixed value of ##z##.

Likes songoku
nuuskur said:
This cannot be correct. The permitted values of x change based on z - consider the graph. a is just some fixed number, it does not depend on z.
Consider what the OP was trying to do here. They were trying to write an xy-integral of the height of the object. As such, the dependent variable would be z and not x or y. The conclusion was still incorrect, but the x-range cannot depend on z because in OP’s approach it is the other way around. (The x-range does however depend on ##d##)

nuuskur said:
Stay within R3. There is no reason to overcomplicate.
That comment from the OP was a reply to my comment regarding what happened to the OP’s expression in a particular case. In that case, yes, the integrand became imaginary so it was a correct conclusion regarding the integrand. The following conclusion should be that the expression could not be correct as the volume is not complex.

songoku said:
##A(z) dz##
Indeed, so when you sum up those volumes you obtain the full volume
$$
V = \int_{-d}^d A(z) dz.
$$
What is the function ##A(z)## expressed as?

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:

But how do you calculate the area of an ellipse? :wink:

Likes songoku
pasmith said:
But how do you calculate the area of an ellipse? :wink:
Scaling the expression for the area of a circle of unit radius 😛

Likes songoku
nuuskur said:
It is the area of the ellipse for a fixed value of ##z##.
Orodruin said:
Scaling the expression for the area of a circle of unit radius 😛

Taking a fix value of ##z## to be ##k##, the equation becomes:
$$\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1+\frac{k^2}{c^2}$$
$$\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=\frac{c^2+k^2}{c^2}$$
$$\frac{x^2}{\frac{a^2(c^2+k^2)}{c^2}}+\frac{y^2}{\frac{b^2(c^2+k^2)}{c^2}}=1$$
$$\frac{x^2}{\left(\frac{a}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)^2}+\frac{y^2}{\left(\frac{b}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)^2}$$

The area is ##\pi \left(\frac{a}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)\left(\frac{b}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)=\pi\frac{ab}{c^2}(c^2+k^2)##

So my integrand maybe would be: ##\pi\frac{ab}{c^2}(c^2+z^2)##

Is this correct? Thanks

Likes nuuskur
Missing an ##..=1## for the last centered expression. Otherwise, yes, ##2\int _0^d A(z)dz##, where ##A(z)## is the quantity you calculated, is a correct way to obtain the volume.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation Orodruin, pasmith, nuuskur