Finding Solutions for a System of Linear Equations with 2 Degrees of Freedom

In summary, the conversation was about finding the values of k for which a system of equations has an infinite number of solutions with 2 degrees of freedom. The system was presented and simplified using row operations, and it was determined that k=2 is the solution for this case. The final solution was also provided.
Yankel
Hello again,

I have this system presented below:

\[\left\{\begin{matrix} x+y+z+w=1 \\ -3x-3y+kz-kw=-2 \\ 2x+2y+2z+kw=4-k \end{matrix}\right.\]

I need to find for which values of k the system has an infinite number of solutions with 2 degrees of freedom, and to find a general solution for this case. I did two elementary row operations to get this:

\[\begin{pmatrix} 1 &1 &1 &1 &1 \\ 0 &0 &k+3 &-k+3 &1 \\ 0 &0 &0 &k-2 &2-k \end{pmatrix}\]Then I said that infinite number of solutions with 2 DF will be when k=2, and my final solution was:

w=t
y=s
z=(1-t)/5
x=1-s-t-((1-t)/5)

Am I correct ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good! (Yes)

Related to Finding Solutions for a System of Linear Equations with 2 Degrees of Freedom

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that involve multiple variables and can be solved simultaneously to find the values of those variables.

What is the difference between a system of linear equations and a single linear equation?

A single linear equation involves only one variable, while a system of linear equations involves multiple variables and multiple equations that must be solved together.

What is the solution to a system of linear equations?

The solution to a system of linear equations is the set of values that make all of the equations in the system true. In other words, it is the point where all of the equations intersect on a graph.

How can a system of linear equations be solved?

A system of linear equations can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and find the values that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

Why are systems of linear equations important in science?

Systems of linear equations are important in science because they can be used to model real-world situations and relationships between variables. They allow scientists to make predictions and solve problems by finding the values of unknown variables. They are also the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts in fields such as physics and engineering.