Generating Function: Formula for Nth Term?

In summary, Emilio says that if you have a generating function, you can use an contour integral to obtain the coefficients of the sequence.
Emilijo
Does exist general formula for nth term in sequence if I have generative function?
In my case, generative function is (1/(1-x))-(1/(1-x^3)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Emilijo said:
Does exist general formula for nth term in sequence if I have generative function?
In my case, generative function is (1/(1-x))-(1/(1-x^3)).
I think so but you may have to give the 1st 3 terms and the generating function.

I don't have to give 1st 3 terms. If I have generating function, the sequence is strictly given, and I just want to have formula for getting nth term in the sequence.
Now, what is the formula?(general formula, and formula for my case)

Emilijo said:
I don't have to give 1st 3 terms. If I have generating function, the sequence is strictly given, and I just want to have formula for getting nth term in the sequence.
Now, what is the formula?(general formula, and formula for my case)

Emilio, there is a simple rule that people asking for help should know. If people who are willing to help ask for something, you better provide it if you want their help. Reading your answer motivates people not to answer your question. Arrogance does not help.

Emilijo said:
If I have generating function, the sequence is strictly given

Nonsense. There are different types of generating functions: "ordinary generating functions", "exponential generating function", "Dirchlet generating functions" and so on. They each have own rules for manipulation (especially multiplication), and what you need to do to obtain the individual terms is different. Just telling us "here is a generating function" gives no information about the underlying series.

More to the point, that process is directly obtained from the definition of the generating function you are using. It's the same process of obtaining terms from a Taylor series. If you have not studied generating functions before then I suggest you read Generatingfunctionology. It's free off the web.

The sequence you give has the Taylor series coefficient function 4/3Sin(Pi*n/3)^2, which may simplify further given n is an integer.

If you want a general form for the coefficients of a generating function, you can use an contour integral from complex analysis which extracts the coefficient:

[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{|z|<1}\frac{f(z)}{z^{n+1}}dz[/itex],

where f(z) is your generating function, and n is the element index in the sequence you are trying to obtain. You can use the substitution [itex]z=e^{iy}[/itex] with the new limits [itex]y=0[/itex] and [itex]y=2\pi[/itex] to compute the integral.

This can be more useful than the Taylor approach sometimes, but as has been said before generating functions come in many different forms, and it is best to learn the art in general really. You may find that if your generating function has no "nice" pattern to it, then you cannot find a sequence function (e.g. 2 + 3x + 5x^2 + 7x^3 + 11x^4 + ... + p_n x^n + ..., where p_n is the n-th prime)

Related to Generating Function: Formula for Nth Term?

1. What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical function that encodes information about a sequence of numbers. It can be used to find the values of the terms in the sequence or to manipulate the sequence in various ways.

2. How do you find the formula for the nth term using a generating function?

To find the formula for the nth term using a generating function, you first need to express the sequence as a power series. Then, you can use algebraic manipulations and the properties of power series to find the formula for the nth term.

3. What are the properties of a generating function?

The properties of a generating function include linearity, shifting, and scaling. Linearity means that the generating function of a sum of sequences is equal to the sum of the individual generating functions. Shifting means that the generating function of a shifted sequence is equal to the original generating function multiplied by a power of x. Scaling means that the generating function of a scaled sequence is equal to the original generating function raised to a power.

4. Can a generating function be used to find any term in a sequence?

Yes, a generating function can be used to find any term in a sequence as long as the sequence can be expressed as a power series and the generating function is known. However, depending on the complexity of the sequence and the generating function, it may be difficult or impossible to find the formula for the nth term.

5. How is a generating function different from a regular function?

A generating function is different from a regular function in that it encodes information about a sequence, while a regular function operates on individual values. A regular function has a specific input and output, while a generating function can have multiple inputs and outputs. Additionally, generating functions often involve power series and other mathematical concepts that are not typically used in regular functions.