Generators for Home Natural Gas: Find Yours Today

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what kind of generator they would need to run their house on their own power using the natural gas found under their property. They are currently unsure of how much gas is available and how much power they need. They are considering installing a small spark ignition cogeneration unit and are also looking into using the gas for heating and possibly air conditioning. They have also consulted their electric bill for their monthly energy usage. They have mineral rights to their property and are seeking help from others as they are new to this topic.
jdeere724
Hi! I am trying to figure out what kind of generator I need for my home. I am the sole owner to the natural gas under my property and I want to run my house on it's own power. What kind of generator do I need for continuous use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much gas is available? How much power do you need? You could install a small spark ignition cogeneration unit and make use of the heat too.

brewnog said:
How much gas is available?{/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. I am having someone come out to examine the area next week.

How much power do you need?

Actually that's what I'm trying to put a figure on. I only need power for a single family house. 4 LCD televisions, cable internet with five computers, refrigerator, heating

You could install a small spark ignition cogeneration unit and make use of the heat too.

You mean hook the furnace up to the gas line? I'm considering that. Please don't take these questions to be stupid, I am new to this but determined to run on my own power and have the cash up front to do so. Thanks.

How about air conditioning? Do you have one and what size is it? Is your heating electric? What is the capacity? Can you at least tell us how many kWh your house uses in a month? (it is on your electric bill).

Cogen uses the waste heat from the generator itself to produce heat (not a separate furnace). You may actually want to do both, since a household generator may not generate enough waste heat to heat your house in winter (depending on where you live...).

After all that, I can't imagine it is a trivial exercise to capture the natural gas that may be lurking under your house...

How the hell did you manage to get mineral rights?

If I am reading my bill correctly it provides a month by month history of my energy consumption over the past two years. My highest energy consumption this year so far was February at 1,176 kwh and my highest usage in the past two years was last July at 1,565 kwh.

The mineral rights were never separated from the property. I am an attorney and property law is my field. Power generation isn't, but I appreciate the help I'm getting from everyone here.

Please, don't connect ANYTHING to your boiler unless you absolutely know what you're doing, which (no offence!) you don't.

jdeere724 said:
Hi! I am trying to figure out what kind of generator I need for my home. I am the sole owner to the natural gas under my property and I want to run my house on it's own power. What kind of generator do I need for continuous use?

Wow, what an interesting topic. I can't imaging having the ability to supply your own gas.

A few questions for you:
How will you get it out of the ground? I assume a well needs to be drilled. Do you need some sort of permit to operate your own gas plant? I assume either a pressure regulator, or a pump to increase the gas pressure will be needed.

As far as a generator is concerned, you will need to add up all the electrical loads in your house to figure out how big of one you will need. Most houses have 200 amp service where I live, that is 44000 watts total at 220 V. So roughly you would need a 44kW generator for that kind of service. It would need to be continuous duty, not one of the standby ones. I am assuming a unit like that would be pretty expensive since most large gensets are diesel fueled. I have heard of companies that convert large diesels to natural gas for this very reason. You could us the electricity to run a split heat pump system for heat and A/C. You could burn the gas in a furnace for heat too.

That probably was not much help, but keep us informed where your research takes you!

Just for example: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/natural_gas.php
here are some standby natural gas generators, probably not rated for continuous use.

jdeere724 said:
If I am reading my bill correctly it provides a month by month history of my energy consumption over the past two years. My highest energy consumption this year so far was February at 1,176 kwh and my highest usage in the past two years was last July at 1,565 kwh.
That is pretty high unless you have a very large house. Are your electric bill on the order of hundreds or thousands of dollars? Maybe you missed a decimal point and it was 156.5, if your bill is in the hundreds...

jdeere724 said:
The mineral rights were never separated from the property. I am an attorney and property law is my field. Power generation isn't, but I appreciate the help I'm getting from everyone here.

Yeah, I have a small property which I retain all mineral rights.
In my case, though, there are no worthwhile resources. Darn!

Related to Generators for Home Natural Gas: Find Yours Today

1. What is a natural gas generator?

A natural gas generator is a device that converts the energy from natural gas into electricity. It works by burning natural gas in an internal combustion engine, which then turns a generator to produce electricity.

2. How does a natural gas generator work?

A natural gas generator works by igniting natural gas in an internal combustion engine, which then turns a generator to produce electricity. The engine operates similarly to a car engine, using the energy from the burning gas to create motion, which is then converted into electrical energy by the generator.

3. What are the benefits of using a natural gas generator for home?

There are several benefits to using a natural gas generator for home. Firstly, natural gas is a reliable and consistent source of energy, meaning you won't experience power outages like you might with other sources. Additionally, natural gas is a clean-burning fuel, producing fewer emissions and less pollution compared to other fossil fuels. It is also more cost-effective and efficient compared to other generators.

4. How do I choose the right size natural gas generator for my home?

The size of a natural gas generator is determined by the amount of power it can produce, measured in watts. To choose the right size generator for your home, you should first determine your power needs by calculating the wattage of all the appliances and devices you want to run during a power outage. Then, choose a generator with a wattage capacity that meets or exceeds your calculated needs.

5. What maintenance is required for a natural gas generator?

Regular maintenance is essential for ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of a natural gas generator. This includes periodic oil and filter changes, spark plug replacements, and general inspection of the engine and electrical components. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and instructions for your specific generator model.