Get Funding for PhD at NCSU - Advice on Asking Profs

In summary, the person got an admit to a PhD program in math but did not get any funding, so they need to find an RA position.
bloometal
So I got an admit at NCSU for PHD math finally. In fact, it was the only school I got an admit from. Unfortunately, (Yep you guessed it!) I did not land myself any sort of funding. They seemingly decide upon Teaching Assistantships once in a year, and that's that!
So, my only option on getting my tuition paid is getting myself an RA. Do you think that is possible now that the decision for no funding is already made?
How do I go about asking the Profs? Should I be open about it or do I tell them I'm just interested in learning more before I get there and then once I get there, I ask them about RA?

Thanks a ton for any sort of advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually RA-ships are more competitive than TA-ships. You can ask, but I wouldn't make any plans assuming that this would happen.

bloometal said:
So I got an admit at NCSU for PHD math finally. In fact, it was the only school I got an admit from. Unfortunately, (Yep you guessed it!) I did not land myself any sort of funding. They seemingly decide upon Teaching Assistantships once in a year, and that's that!
So, my only option on getting my tuition paid is getting myself an RA. Do you think that is possible now that the decision for no funding is already made?
How do I go about asking the Profs? Should I be open about it or do I tell them I'm just interested in learning more before I get there and then once I get there, I ask them about RA?

Thanks a ton for any sort of advice!

TA'ship at most schools are often given out each year. There's no "long term" contract here, so this is not unusual. Unless you really suck as a TA, I don't see this as being a problem for you to continue your graduate program being a TA.

RA'ship, as has been mentioned, are more difficult and contingent upon the fact that there is a faculty member with research funding. Since you said that you are just about to enter the graduate program, I would assume that you haven't passed your qualifier yet. No many faculty member would take on a student as an RA before you pass your qualifier.

I've already described in detailed the journey during the first couple of years of graduate school in my "So You Want To Be A Physicist". While it may not apply to you as a math major, I would think that many of the same principles might still be relevant.

Zz.

Related to Get Funding for PhD at NCSU - Advice on Asking Profs

1. How do I approach professors for funding for a PhD at NCSU?

When approaching professors for funding, it is important to do your research and have a clear understanding of their research interests and projects. You should also have a well-written and concise letter of inquiry explaining your interest in their work and how your research aligns with theirs. It is also helpful to have a strong academic background and relevant experience to demonstrate your potential as a PhD candidate.

2. What is the best time to reach out to professors for funding?

The best time to reach out to professors for funding is typically in the early fall before the application deadline for the program. This gives the professors enough time to review your inquiry and make a decision before the deadline.

3. Is it appropriate to ask for funding in the initial email to a professor?

It is generally not appropriate to ask for funding in the initial email to a professor. Instead, use the email to introduce yourself, express your interest in their work, and inquire about any potential funding opportunities. If the professor expresses interest, then you can discuss funding options in more detail.

4. How can I increase my chances of getting funding for a PhD at NCSU?

To increase your chances of getting funding for a PhD at NCSU, it is important to have a strong academic background and relevant experience in the field of study. Additionally, networking and making connections with professors at NCSU can also be beneficial. It is also important to tailor your application and inquiry letters to each professor and their specific research interests.

5. Are there any alternative funding options for a PhD at NCSU?

Yes, there are alternative funding options for a PhD at NCSU, such as scholarships, grants, and fellowships. It is important to research and explore all available options and apply for as many as possible to increase your chances of securing funding. You can also look into external funding sources, such as government agencies or private organizations, that may offer funding for graduate studies.