How can I show that there is exactly one f?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the Picard–Lindelöf theorem states that for a function $f$ and a continuous function $g$ such that $g(x)+f(x)>0$, there exists a unique function $h$ such that $h(x)=f(x)+g(x)$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :)
I wanted to ask you how I can show that there is exactly one $f$ continuous for $x>0$,so that $f(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}f(t)dt, \forall x>0$.Is there a theorem that I could use?Or do I have just to suppose that there is a $g\neq f$,which satisfy $g(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}g(t)dt, \forall x>0$ and then to conclude that it must be $g(x)=f(x)$ ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! :)
I wanted to ask you how I can show that there is exactly one $f$ continuous for $x>0$,so that $f(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}f(t)dt, \forall x>0$.Is there a theorem that I could use?Or do I have just to suppose that there is a $g\neq f$,which satisfy $g(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}g(t)dt, \forall x>0$ and then to conclude that it must be $g(x)=f(x)$ ?

Setting f(x) = y and deriving the expression, with a little arrangement You arrive to the ODE...

$\displaystyle y^{\ '} = \frac{1}{x},\ y(1)=1\ (1)$

... which has the only solution $y=1 + \ln x$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Setting f(x) = y and deriving the expression, with a little arrangement You arrive to the ODE...

... which has the only solution $y=1 + \ln x$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Can't I show the uniqueness of the solution,before finding it? :confused:

evinda said:
Can't I show the uniqueness of the solution,before finding it? :confused:

The ODE is in the form...

$\displaystyle \frac{d y}{d x} = f(x,y),\ y(x_{0})=y_{0}\ (1)$

... where f(*,*) and its first order partial derivatives are continuous in $(x_{0},y_{0})$, so that the (1) has one and only one solution [Picard's theorem...]

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

So,do I have to take the functions $f(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}f(t)dt$ and $g(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}g(t)dt$ and say:
$g(1)=f(1) \text{ and } g'(1)=f'(1)$ ,and so we conclude that $f(x)=g(x) \forall x>0$?Or am I wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
So,do I have to take the functions $f(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}f(t)dt$ and $g(x)=1+\frac{1}{x}\int_{1}^{x}g(t)dt$ and say:
$g(1)=f(1) \text{ and } g'(1)=f'(1)$ ,and so we conclude that $f(x)=g(x) \forall x>0$?Or am I wrong? :confused:

The theorem is like that:
$f,g$ satisfy $y''+by=0 $ , $f(x_{0})=g(x_{0}),f'(x_{0})=g'(x_{0})$ $\Rightarrow$ $f(x)=g(x) \forall x \in (-\infty,+\infty)$ .Right?So,is it applicable in this case,or not?

chisigma said:

evinda said:
The theorem is like that:
$f,g$ satisfy $y''+by=0 $ , $f(x_{0})=g(x_{0}),f'(x_{0})=g'(x_{0})$ $\Rightarrow$ $f(x)=g(x) \forall x \in (-\infty,+\infty)$ .Right?So,is it applicable in this case,or not?
chisigma says that the original integral equation is reducible to a first-order differential equation, while you are quoting a theorem about second-order differential equations... I am not sure whether it makes sense to clarify the assumptions of the Picard–Lindelöf theorem or explain the difference between 1 and 2... I've seen evidence that you can solve complicated problems. Please give more thought to your posts.

Related to How can I show that there is exactly one f?

1. How do I prove that there is exactly one f?

To prove that there is exactly one f, you must first define what f represents in your context. Then, you can use mathematical or logical methods to show that there is only one possible value or solution for f in that context. This could include using equations, proofs, or other evidence to demonstrate that no other value or solution is possible.

2. What evidence can I use to support the existence of one f?

Some common types of evidence used to support the existence of one f include mathematical proofs, experiments, data analysis, and logical reasoning. The type of evidence that is most appropriate will depend on the specific context and problem being addressed.

3. Can I use multiple methods to demonstrate the existence of one f?

Yes, it is often helpful to use multiple methods to demonstrate the existence of one f. This can provide stronger evidence and help to build a more comprehensive understanding of the problem at hand. However, it is important to ensure that all methods used are reliable and valid in order to support the conclusion of one f.

4. Are there any limitations to proving the existence of one f?

Yes, there may be limitations to proving the existence of one f depending on the specific context and problem being addressed. Some limitations may include the availability of data or resources, the complexity of the problem, and the accuracy or validity of the methods used.

5. How can I ensure that my proof of one f is valid and accurate?

To ensure the validity and accuracy of your proof of one f, it is important to carefully consider your assumptions, methods, and evidence. You should also seek feedback and review from other experts in the field to ensure that your proof is sound and free from errors or biases.