How Do Adjustable Crush Drums Impact Force and Torque Calculations?

• Thread starter frenchw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    advanced
In summary: The equation is torque (RPM) = force (N) x gear ratio. The chain on this machine is in a different layout than the ones you mentioned. There are sprockets on the axle that go to the motor.
frenchw
Ok This is a long question so bear with me. BACKGROUND: I am designing a set of crush drums that counter rotate (similar to a rock crusher). One Drum is adjustable to increase/decrease distance between drums. Each drum is 170mm in diameter, 200mm long, made from 10mm thick steel. They are chain driven by a 0.75hp motor (550w, 50hz, geared down from 1400rpm to 155rpm)

Similar to this http://w13.itrademarket.com/pdimage/05/1934405_doublerollcoalcrusher.jpg

Ok so this is where it takes some imagination, If you could please tell me what I am missing and if I had it how to carry out the equation.

I want to find out:

- what the maximum force the drums could take without jamming

- Torque (the original rpm was 1400 but from a series of sprockets the rpm is now 155)

- What force is exhorted by the drums

I have blades on my drums. One drum can be adjusted on the x axis. How does this affect my equations.

Could someone please take their time to explain this to me. Attached is a 3D pdf of my CAD. The belt and pulleys represent chain and sprockets

Extra Info: Each drum is welded onto a 350mm steel axle with a diameter of 25mm. Each drum has a 10mm thick plate either side with a 25mm hole in which the axle passes through. The axle sits in a heavy duty flanged bearing. The way the drums are powered are by sprockets and chains in the exact same layout as this charcoal crusher http://www.wolterpyrotools.com/image/charcoal_crusher_2000.jpg except instead of a handle, another sprocket leads a chain to the 0.75hp motor

Regards,

Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will, I did not find you CAD drawing. Was it attached?

Do you intend to have the two drums in contact as you have shown them,, or will there be a gap between them? How large will the pieces be that are being crushed compared to the drums?

The crush drums are adjustable, Minimum gap 20mm and largest gap 70mm. They are crushing bags of suger (500g, 1kg and 2kg bags).

Will

Related to How Do Adjustable Crush Drums Impact Force and Torque Calculations?

What is Advanced Force?

Advanced Force is a term used in physics to describe the amount of force that is applied to an object.

What is Torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

How do Advanced Force and Torque relate?

Advanced Force and Torque are closely related as both involve the application of force to an object. Torque is a type of advanced force that produces rotational motion.

What are some real-life examples of Advanced Force and Torque?

Some examples of Advanced Force include pushing a car up a hill, lifting weights at the gym, and throwing a ball. Torque can be seen in activities such as turning a doorknob, opening a jar, and riding a bike.

How can Advanced Force and Torque be calculated?

Advanced Force can be calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration, while Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. Both are typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

Back