How do I find the laplace transformation of i(t)=(t)(e^t)(sinkt)?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the Laplace Transform of the function i(t)=(t)(e^t)(sinkt). The Laplace Transform is defined as the integral of e^(-st)y(t)dt, and in this case it would be quite challenging to solve. However, the experts suggest using integration by parts or the complex exponential to simplify the problem and obtain two Laplace Transforms simultaneously. By making the replacement sin(kt)-->e^(ikt), the imaginary part can be taken at the end to solve the problem.
mak_wilson
please help me with this question

Find the laplace transformation of this function

i(t)=(t)(e^t)(sinkt)

i really don't know how to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplace Transform is defined as:

[tex]Y(s) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-st}y(t)dt[/tex]

where y(t) is the function you wish to find the Laplacian of.

In this example, the integral would be:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} te^{-st}e^tsin(kt)dt[/tex]

...which is unbelievably ugly.

Have you learned about convolution yet? This is a pretty nasty problem, unless I'm missing something, which it seems probable that I am.

Last edited:
thz

You didnt miss anything, i can do up to this stage, but it contain 3 t in it, I don't really know how to solve it!

1. Since the integral of the e^((1-s)t)*sin(kt) will "rotate" during integration by parts (i.e. you will gain back a multiple of what you began integrating), evaluating the integral of this function alone should pose no problems.
(Assuming s>1, that is)

2. You can now go back to the original problem, using integration by parts to eliminate the t-factor.

3. Alternatively, you might use the complex exponential as a simplifying measure.

arildno said:
3. Alternatively, you might use the complex exponential as a simplifying measure.

That's what I would do, too. The beautiful thing about that is that, not only is it a lot easier to calculate, but it also gives you TWO Laplace transforms simultaneously.

mak_wilson, I would recommend that you take this suggestion. Make the replacement:

sin(kt)--->eikt

and take the imaginary part at the end.

solution

Here is a solution,
Max.

Attachments

• laplace1.gif
    laplace1.gif
    624 bytes · Views: 538
thank You~~

Related to How do I find the laplace transformation of i(t)=(t)(e^t)(sinkt)?

1. What is Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation is a mathematical operation used to convert a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain. It is commonly used in solving differential equations and analyzing systems in control engineering and signal processing.

2. Why is Laplace transformation useful?

Laplace transformation is useful because it simplifies the process of solving differential equations by converting them into algebraic equations that are easier to manipulate. It also allows for the analysis of complex systems and signals in the frequency domain, providing insights into their behavior and stability.

3. How do you perform Laplace transformation?

To perform Laplace transformation, you need to take the integral of a function multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. The result is called the Laplace transform of the function. The inverse Laplace transformation can then be used to convert the function back to the time domain.

4. What are some common applications of Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation has many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is commonly used in circuit analysis, control systems, signal processing, and fluid dynamics, to name a few. It is also utilized in solving boundary value problems and partial differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transformation?

While Laplace transformation is a powerful mathematical tool, it has some limitations. It is not always possible to find the Laplace transform of a function, and even when it is, the inverse transformation may not exist. Additionally, Laplace transformation is only applicable to linear systems and cannot be used for nonlinear systems or functions.