How Many Pores and What Sizes for 20 ppi Porosity in a Metal Foam?

• Thread starter blalien
  • Start date
  • Tags
    porosity
In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of a 3D model of a metal foam with a porosity of 20 ppi and a volume ratio of 25% aluminum. The question arises as to how many pores should be present and what their sizes should be. After some discussion, it is determined that 20 ppi implies 8000 pores in a 1 inch cube of aluminum, with each pore having a volume of 0.00009375 in^3. The possibility of pores overlapping is also considered, with the resulting volume potentially altering the prescribed composition of 25% by ±1 sig fig.
blalien

Homework Statement

This should be a pretty simple question but I can't find a straight answer in the literature. I want to simulate a 3D model of a metal foam by starting with an aluminum block and filling it with randomly placed spherical holes of constant volume. The foam should have a porosity of 20 ppi (pores per inch) and a volume ratio of 25% aluminum. How many pores should there be, and what are their sizes?

Homework Equations

20 pores per inch
25% aluminum, 75% void by volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not clear on precisely what "ppi" means. Does 20 ppi imply that a 1 inch cube of aluminum should contain 20^3 = 8000 pores? And that each pore should have a volume of 0.75/8000 = 0.00009375 in^3? This seems pretty obvious but I want to make sure before I proceed. Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the pores are spherical. Work out what the radius of each pore would be. Can you put them on a 1/20" pitch/grid without them intersecting each other :-)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with packing theories.

Last edited:
Likes blalien
Google suggests Cubic Close packing can achieve 74% packing density but I'm not quite sure how you calculate the PPI in that configuration..

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SpherePacking.html

Likes blalien
The pores in a foam are allowed to overlap with each other. This isn't a sphere packing problem though. This is a question of the expected value of the volume these pores will occupy.

Does 20 ppi imply that a 1 inch cube of aluminum should contain 20^3 = 8000 pores? And that each pore should have a volume of 0.75/8000 = 0.00009375 in^3?
Yes, that is how I see it. As far as averages go, it should make no difference whether the pores are neatly arrayed in equi-spaced rows and columns, or randomly positioned. So, take the easy route, consider them all neatly arrayed in 3D ranks. :smile:

Work out the radius each would have if it were spherical, and compare this dimension with their centre-to-centre spacing to see whether the model seems realistic for your application.

If the pores overlap each other won't the volume ratio be incorrect. (eg some of the volume is double counted).

PS I believe they do overlap.

Last edited:
Will the expected overlap be likely to alter the prescribed composition of 25% by more than ±1 sig fig?

If I did the sums right the volume of a single pore after deducting the 6 overlaps is

8.86 * 10^-5 cubic inches compared to
9.38 * 10^-5 calculated by ignoring the overlap

8.86 * 10^-5 * 8000 = 0.71

eg 71% rather than the 75% requested.

Related to How Many Pores and What Sizes for 20 ppi Porosity in a Metal Foam?

1. What is foam porosity?

Foam porosity refers to the presence of small, open pockets of air or gas within a foam material. It is a measure of the volume of these voids compared to the total volume of the foam.

2. How is foam porosity measured?

Foam porosity can be measured using various techniques such as mercury intrusion porosimetry, gas pycnometry, and image analysis. These methods involve measuring the volume of gas or liquid that can be absorbed by the foam and comparing it to the total volume of the foam.

3. What factors affect foam porosity?

The porosity of foam is influenced by several factors, including the type of foam material, its density, and the method of production. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of additives can also affect foam porosity.

4. Why is foam porosity important?

Foam porosity plays a crucial role in determining the properties and performance of foam materials. It affects factors such as thermal and acoustic insulation, strength and durability, and the ability to absorb shock or impact. Understanding foam porosity is essential for selecting the right foam material for a specific application.

5. How can foam porosity be controlled?

The level of foam porosity can be controlled through various techniques, including changing the foam formulation, adjusting the production process, and using additives or modifiers. It is crucial to carefully control foam porosity to achieve the desired properties and performance of the foam material.