How to know if a school has a good Physics program?

In summary, the speaker is an Oregon resident who has decided to switch from Electrical Engineering to Physics, with the goal of obtaining a PhD. They are currently grounded in Portland for personal reasons and are considering two schools in the area - the University of Portland and Portland State University. The University of Portland has a higher ranking and a private university, while Portland State University is not highly ranked. However, Portland State University has a Center for Microscopy & Nanotechnology, which aligns with the speaker's main goal in Physics. The speaker is seeking advice on how to determine which schools have reputable and quality physics programs and whether it is worth the money to attend the University of Portland over Portland State University. They also ask for tips on researching the schools'
Mohdoo
Hello, everyone.

I am an Oregon resident who has decided to switch from Electrical Engineering to Physics. I feel like my true passion lies in Physics :) My hope is to earn a PhD. So my primary concern is getting into a school that can get me a strong PhD.

Anyway, I live in Portland, Oregon, and I am unfortunately grounded here for the next few years for personal reasons. I have 2 schools in my area for the next few years that I am grounded here. One of them is the University of Portland. It is a private University with an apparently very high ranking.

Link to ranking is here: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/portland-or/university-of-portland-3224

School website for physics program: http://college.up.edu/physics/

"Rank 10
Score: 66
Tier 1
College Category:
Universities-Master's (West)"

The other school is Portland State University, a university that as far as I know is not very good.

Link to ranking is here: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/portland-or/portland-state-3216

School Physics homepage: http://physics.pdx.edu/index.htm

"Tier 4
College Category:
National Universities"

So it doesn't seem too great.

But I figured that a school can be great in some areas, but not in others, and my concern is Physics.

Although it seems pretty clear that Portland State University doesn't have the best program, it does have the Center for Microscopy & Nanotechnology (CEMN), and Nanotechnology is my main goal in Physics. Link to that is here: http://www.emc.pdx.edu/

So I have a few questions. First, how can I find out which schools have reputable, quality programs that will help me earn a reputable, quality PhD? Second, is it worth the money to go to The University of Portland over Portland State University?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check out their physics department webpages. How many physics professors do they have? How many grad students? What kinds of jobs are these students getting, or where are they getting into grad school? How often do the professors publish, and in what journals? Some are much higher impact than others, and show larger contributions to their fields. What fields do they offer, and what are you interested in studying? If you want to continue to a PhD after the masters, at that school or another, you'll want a chance to do a masters research project with one of them, so keep that in mind when picking a school.

Related to How to know if a school has a good Physics program?

1. How do I know if a school has a good Physics program?

There are several factors that can indicate whether a school has a good Physics program. Some key things to look for include the qualifications and experience of the faculty, the availability of research opportunities, the quality and variety of courses offered, and the success of graduates in pursuing further education or careers in Physics.

2. What is the importance of faculty qualifications in determining a good Physics program?

The qualifications of the faculty can greatly impact the quality of a Physics program. Look for schools with faculty who have advanced degrees in Physics, relevant research experience, and involvement in professional organizations. This shows a commitment to staying current in the field and a dedication to teaching and mentoring students.

3. How can I assess the research opportunities available in a Physics program?

Research opportunities are an important aspect of a good Physics program as they allow students to gain hands-on experience and explore their interests. Look for schools that have well-equipped labs and research facilities, and opportunities for students to work on projects with faculty or participate in internships.

4. Does the variety of courses offered matter in a Physics program?

The variety of courses offered in a Physics program can indicate the breadth and depth of the curriculum. Look for schools that offer a range of courses in different areas of Physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. This allows students to explore different areas of interest and gain a well-rounded education.

5. How can I find out about the success of graduates from a Physics program?

The success of graduates from a Physics program can provide insight into the quality and effectiveness of the program. Look for schools that have a high percentage of graduates who go on to pursue advanced degrees in Physics or related fields, or who have successful careers in industries such as research, technology, or engineering.