How to make 1L 50% sucrose solution from 20% solution?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter TytoAlba95
  • Start date
In summary, the amount of 20% sucrose solution needed to make 1L of 50% sucrose solution can be calculated using the formula (1L x 50%) / 20% = 0.5L of 20% sucrose solution. The procedure for making 1L of 50% sucrose solution from 20% solution involves measuring out 0.5L of 20% solution, adding distilled water to a 1L volumetric flask, mixing thoroughly, and labeling and storing the solution. It is recommended to use distilled water when making the solution, but filtered or boiled water can be used as an alternative. The concentration of the solution can be checked using a refractometer or
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
See below
Capture.PNG

Using the formula V1S1=V2S2,
I have found the volumes of stock solutions needed to make Tris-EDTA of the STE buffer.
VTris=100ml and VEDTA=50ml.

How to find out volume of sucrose ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would setup the calculation in the same way, treating "%" as a unit that can be canceled on both sides of the equation (for w/v % it is essentially a unit representing "g/100mL").

Thank you so much. I got it. Your pointer

treating "%" as a unit

really helped.

Related to How to make 1L 50% sucrose solution from 20% solution?

1. How do I calculate the volume of 20% sucrose solution needed to make 1L of 50% sucrose solution?

To calculate the volume of 20% sucrose solution needed, you can use the following formula: (0.5L x 0.5) / 0.2 = 1.25L. This means you will need 1.25L of 20% sucrose solution to make 1L of 50% sucrose solution.

2. Can I use any type of sucrose for this solution?

Yes, you can use any type of sucrose for this solution as long as it is in the correct concentration. However, it is recommended to use high-quality sucrose to ensure accurate results.

3. How do I properly mix the 20% sucrose solution to make the 50% solution?

To properly mix the solutions, you will need to use a volumetric flask. First, measure out the required volume of 20% sucrose solution. Then, add distilled water to the flask until it reaches the 1L mark. Finally, mix the solution thoroughly to ensure even distribution of the sucrose.

4. What is the best way to store the 50% sucrose solution?

The best way to store the solution is in a tightly sealed container at room temperature. Make sure to label the container with the concentration and date of preparation.

5. Can I adjust the concentration of the sucrose solution?

Yes, you can adjust the concentration by using the same formula as mentioned in question 1. For example, if you want to make a 25% sucrose solution, you would use the formula (0.5L x 0.25) / 0.2 = 0.625L. This means you would need 0.625L of 20% sucrose solution to make 1L of 25% sucrose solution.