How to solve f'(t) = -t + t^3.f(t)

• I
  • Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
In summary: There is an elementary method of evaluating the definite integral using polar coordinates, as discussed in the conversation. In summary, the conversation revolves around the computation of a Gaussian integral using different methods. The first method discussed involves using an integrating factor and solving a differential equation, but it is noted that this may not be the most efficient approach. The second method, using polar coordinates, is then mentioned as a more standard and elementary way of computing the integral. However, it is mentioned that the person involved in the conversation wanted to try a different method that involves differentiating under the integral sign. Ultimately, it is concluded that this method is not feasible, as the integral is non-elementary and cannot be computed without the use of special functions.
murshid_islam
TL;DR Summary
How to solve ##f'(t) = -t + t^3f(t)##
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you could try an integrating factor ##\mu = \text{exp} \left(- \frac{1}{4} t^4 \right)##, in which case the solution is$$f(t) = \frac{\int -t \, \text{exp} \left(- \frac{1}{4} t^4 \right)}{ \text{exp} \left(- \frac{1}{4} t^4 \right)}$$but now you need to do that integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
etotheipi said:
I guess you could try an integrating factor ##\mu = \text{exp} \left(- \frac{1}{4} t^4 \right)##, in which case the solution is$$f(t) = \frac{\int -t \, \text{exp} \left(- \frac{1}{4} t^4 \right)}{ \text{exp} \left(- \frac{1}{4} t^4 \right)}$$but now you need to do that integral and I don't think it's one you can do analytically without special functions. So, maybe there is a better approach
After the substitution ##u = \frac{t^2}{2}##, the integral becomes ##\int e^{-u^2}du##, which brings me back to square one because that's the integral I was trying to compute here: Gaussian integral by differentiating under the integral sign, which led to that differential equation in the first place.

Likes Delta2
fresh_42 said:
Here is how the Gaussian integral is done:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral
Compute ##[\int \exp(ax^2)dx]^2##, switch to polar coordinates and calculate the result.
Yeah, I do know the standard method of computing it by squaring it and changing to polar coordinates, but I wanted to do it with this method of differentiating under the integral sign that I recently learned.

The integral is non-elementary, there is no way to compute the indefinite integral in terms of elementary functions.

Related to How to solve f'(t) = -t + t^3.f(t)

1. What does f'(t) = -t + t^3.f(t) mean?

The notation f'(t) represents the derivative of the function f with respect to the variable t. In this case, the equation is stating that the derivative of f with respect to t is equal to -t plus t to the power of 3, multiplied by the function f(t).

2. How do I solve f'(t) = -t + t^3.f(t)?

To solve this equation, you can use integration. First, rearrange the equation to isolate the function f(t) on one side. Then, integrate both sides of the equation with respect to t. This will give you the original function f(t) that satisfies the equation.

3. What is the significance of the derivative in this equation?

The derivative represents the rate of change of the function f with respect to the variable t. In this case, the derivative is equal to the sum of -t and t to the power of 3, multiplied by the function f(t). This can be interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change of f at any given point on the graph.

4. Can I solve this equation without using integration?

No, integration is the only method to solve this type of equation. The derivative and integral are inverse operations, meaning that integrating the derivative will give you the original function. In this case, integrating f'(t) will give you f(t).

5. How can I apply this equation in real-world situations?

This equation can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects under the influence of gravity or the growth of populations. By finding the function f(t) that satisfies the equation, you can make predictions and analyze the behavior of these systems.