Integrate sqrt(u-2): Trig or Straight Away?

• Thread starter DigiDigi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, when faced with integrating sqrt(u-2), there are multiple options. You can either integrate straight away or make a substitution, such as v=u-2. If you choose to make a substitution, the integral will simplify to sqrt(v), which is much easier to integrate. A trigonometric substitution is not necessary in this case. Ultimately, the choice of method depends on your comfort level and the complexity of the problem.
DigiDigi
I was doing a question using u substitution and at one point,I got sqrt(u-2). How do I integrate it further?

Can I integrate is straight away with sqrt(u-2)(2/3) as answer or do I have to use trigonometric substitution? How to do if it's trigonometric?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't bother about the trig substitution. It will hiss at you, just as a nasty and venomous serpent would do.

And if you feel uncertain about integrating straight away, just substitute with the new variable s=u-2, and see where that leads you.

Likes 1 person
So,I don't have to use trigonometric substitution?

Why tread on a rattle snake?
Much easier to substitute v=u-2

Can I just integrate straight away? I mean I already u-substitution already do I need to do another substitution?

You never "need" to do any type of substitution. Substitutions are made in order to simplify the problem, but if the problem is simple enough (i.e, you what the answer will be), then there is not much point in further simplification, is there.

However, you expressed an uncertainty as to whether it was "allowed" to integrate straight away. (Everything is allowed to do in maths, provided it is correct. :smile:)

In order to alleviate that uncertainty, I pointed out to you that you CAN make the u-2 substition, if that makes you feel safer in doing the right thing.

To elaborate on what arildno said, if you make the substitution v = u - 2, then dv = du, so the integral changes like so:
$$ \int \sqrt{u - 2}du = \int \sqrt{v}dv$$

The latter integral is pretty easy. A trig substitution is not needed here, but is very useful if the quantity in the radical is a sum or difference of squares.

Related to Integrate sqrt(u-2): Trig or Straight Away?

1. What is the meaning of "Integrate sqrt(u-2)"?

"Integrate sqrt(u-2)" means finding the antiderivative or integral of the square root of the expression u-2 with respect to the variable u.

2. Is "Integrate sqrt(u-2)" a trigonometric or a straight integration?

This integration falls under the category of straight integration, as it does not involve any trigonometric functions.

3. What are the steps to integrate sqrt(u-2) using the straight integration method?

The steps to integrate sqrt(u-2) using the straight integration method are as follows:

1. Use the power rule to rewrite the square root as a fractional exponent: sqrt(u-2) = (u-2)^1/2
  2. Add 1 to the exponent and divide by the new exponent: (u-2)^(1/2+1) / (1/2+1) = (u-2)^(3/2) / (3/2)
  3. Integrate the new expression: (u-2)^(3/2) / (3/2) = 2(u-2)^(3/2) / 3 + C

4. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating sqrt(u-2)?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when integrating sqrt(u-2):

• If u-2 is negative, the expression is undefined and cannot be integrated.
  • If u-2 is equal to 0, the integral becomes ∫0^0, which is also undefined.

5. Can the integration of sqrt(u-2) be simplified further?

Yes, the integration of sqrt(u-2) can be simplified further by using the substitution method. Letting u-2 = t, the integral becomes ∫sqrt(t) dt, which is a simpler form that can be integrated using the power rule. After integrating, simply substitute back t = u-2 to get the final answer.