Is My Method of Getting Green's Function Solutions Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of green's function solutions for differential equations and the process for determining the coefficients in the solution. The speaker also expresses confusion about the continuity of the solution and its implications for the limit equation. The responder clarifies that the Green's function is continuous at the source and provides some examples of how it is used in different fields.
StatusX
Homework Helper
I'm wondering if the general method I'm using for getting greens function solutions is wrong, because it's not giving me the right answer.

Here's what I do. Starting with a differential equation:

[tex] a(x) \frac{d^2 y(x)}{dx^2} + b(x) \frac{dy(x)}{dx} +c(x) y(x) = d(x) [/tex]

the green's function solution must satisfy:

[tex] a(x) \frac{d^2 g(x|\xi)}{dx^2} + b(x) \frac{dg(x|\xi)}{dx} +c(x) g(x|\xi) = \delta(x - \xi) [/tex]

Now say we're working in the range [itex]0<x<a[/itex], and the boundary conditions specify either the function or it's first derivative is 0 at each of the endpoints. This means the green's function will satisfy the homogenous DE in the regions [itex]0<x<\xi[/itex] and [itex]\xi<x<a[/itex]. If the homogenous solutions are y1(x) and y2(x), then it will have the form:

[tex] g(x|\xi) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc} A_1 y_1(x) + A_2 y_2(x)&0<x<\xi\\B_1 y_1(x) + B_2 y_2(x)&\xi<x<a\end{array} [/tex]

To determine these four coefficients, we get two equations from the boundary conditions, another from requiring it to be continuous, and another from the following equation:

[tex] \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0 } \int_{\xi-\epsilon}^{\xi+\epsilon} \left[a(x) \frac{d^2 g(x|\xi)}{dx^2} + b(x) \frac{dg(x|\xi)}{dx} +c(x) g(x|\xi) \right] dx= \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0 } \int_{\xi-\epsilon}^{\xi+\epsilon} \delta(x - \xi) dx = 1[/tex]

Here's where I'm a little unsure. Do we always get to assume it will be continuous? And when it is continuous, does the above limit always reduce to:

[tex] a(\xi) \left(\frac{d g(x|\xi)}{dx}|_{\xi+} - \frac{d g(x|\xi)}{dx}|_{\xi-} \right) = 1 [/tex]

assuming a(x), b(x), and c(x) are continuous? If this is all right, I have some more questions because some of the solutions I'm getting using it aren't working.

Physics news on Phys.org
One reason I'm confused is because that limit equation doesn't ensure that the left hand side of the DE actually is the delta function, it's just any function whose integral is 1 if you include [itex]\xi[/itex] in the bounds and 0 if you don't. For example, it might be something like:

[tex] -\frac{x^2}{2 \xi} \delta'(x - \xi) [/tex]

since that would also satisfy those conditions.

Edit: actually I think I get this now. Since the only discontinuity on the left hand side comes from a kink in [itex]g(x|\xi)[/itex], which means we're effectively putting a ramp function in [itex]g(x|\xi)[/itex], then taking two derivatives can only give the delta function, no other possible functions that could integrate to 1 over a point and be 0 everywhere else. Is this the right reason?

Last edited:
You are basically correct. Yes, the Green's function (think potential, or waves...) is continuous at the source, while the gradient is not continuous -- think of E from a charged plate.

With four parameters, the discontinuity in dG/dx and the continuity condition for G give two equations.Boundary and asymptotic conditions will give two more. E&M texts, potential theory texts, and boundary value problem texts all typically give considerable attention to Green's functions.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Related to Is My Method of Getting Green's Function Solutions Wrong?

1. How can I tell if my method of getting Green's function solutions is wrong?

There are a few signs that may indicate that your method of getting Green's function solutions is wrong. These include getting solutions that do not satisfy the boundary conditions, obtaining physically impossible or unrealistic solutions, or having a large error compared to known solutions. It is important to carefully check your calculations and consider seeking advice from colleagues or experts in the field.

2. What are some common mistakes when calculating Green's function solutions?

Some common mistakes when calculating Green's function solutions include incorrect integration or differentiation, incorrect boundary or initial conditions, using the wrong Green's function for the given problem, or making assumptions that are not valid for the problem at hand. It is important to carefully double-check all calculations and assumptions to avoid these errors.

3. Can I use any method to calculate Green's function solutions?

No, not all methods are suitable for calculating Green's function solutions. Some methods may only work for specific types of problems or may lead to inaccurate solutions. It is important to choose an appropriate method for the problem at hand and to validate the results with known solutions or experiments.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Green's function solutions?

To improve your understanding of Green's function solutions, it is helpful to study the theory behind them and to practice solving problems using different methods. You can also attend lectures or workshops on Green's functions, read textbooks or research papers on the topic, and discuss with colleagues or experts in the field.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about my Green's function solutions?

If you are still unsure about your Green's function solutions, you can seek advice from colleagues or experts in the field, or consult with a professor or mentor. It may also be helpful to compare your results with known solutions or to perform a sensitivity analysis to assess the accuracy of your solutions. Remember to always carefully check your calculations and assumptions to avoid errors.