Is Physicist the right path for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in research, particularly in the field of computational physics. They enjoy the idea of research but are unsure if they will enjoy it as a full-time career due to the slow progress and failures that come with it. They also express their dislike for math classes and how it is formulated in textbooks. However, they appreciate the elegance of math in relation to physical quantities. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding and using mathematics in research and how it conveys different ideas. The individual's ability to handle failure is seen as a positive trait for a career in research.
calvinjhfeng
It's really a question of whether research is for me or not. I don't know the answer because I haven't had a chance to research full time. I hope Physics forum may give me some guidance and advice.

I am a sophomore in college majoring in Computational Physics, because I love Physics and I like programming. Programming seems to be a gateway to everything in today's technological world. Recently I am helping my professor on some calculation for dipole moment of some superconductors. I realized research is a lot of reading. The progress is rather slow, failures come after failures. The result and direction is unclear in research. Well so far I enjoy it.

However, I am not sure if I will enjoy it when I become full time researcher?

Although math is what nature speaks in, I am not a math guy. I don't like math classes in general. I don't like how math language is formulated on books. if g(t) and p(t) are whatever, such that whatever, then whatever, etc. It annoys me and confuses me. I can work with math but I find it a hassle to get in depth with it.
However I see the elegance of math when I see how it resembles a physical quantity. I get very excited to see Maxwell Equations and how a fundamental idea derived from a set of equation. I appreciate the idea instead of the math behind it.

I wouldn't want to sit in an office for most of my life to solve equations.
But I like Physics a lot that I can't think of myself in any other career.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey calvinjhfeng and welcome to the forums.

From your comment on failures, I think that you have been exposed to one of the more important points of research being that there is no gaurantee and that failures are the standard operating procedure in this environment.

In terms of appreciating the idea instead of the math, this discussion is a debate in itself.

The mathematics is intended on one level to convey a particular set of ideas in a compact form. There are many different ways to do this but depending on the particular method used, it will convey a particular idea.

The key thing is to find the best way to convey your particular idea and to understand what the different forms are conveying in terms of the mathematical language used.

This kind of thing usually takes a lot of reflection and pondering as well as just progressing to eventually making the connections.

Some particular analyses and viewpoints of mathematics will probably not help you much in a particular context and that is ok, but I would be hesitant in avoiding mathematics in the sense that could be implied from your posts.

Mathematics is not just for pure mathematicians: it is a way to convey the ideas of the minds of scientists, engineers, and researchers of many many fields.

Having said the above though, the fact that you can deal with repeated failure with a clear head is a good sign that you will be able to do research and I imagine the other primary things are your understanding of the baseline material as well as other nontechnical things which you no doubt have gained as a result of working with your professor.

Related to Is Physicist the right path for me?

1. What qualities and skills are required to become a physicist?

To succeed as a physicist, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. You should also have a natural curiosity and a passion for understanding how the world works.

2. What is the educational path to becoming a physicist?

Most physicists hold a Ph.D. in their specialized field of study, which typically takes 4-5 years of graduate school after completing a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some positions may only require a master's degree, but a Ph.D. is generally necessary for research and academic positions.

3. Is physics a financially stable career path?

It depends on your specific career path and industry. Generally, physicists are well-compensated, with a median annual salary of over $120,000. However, job availability and salary can vary depending on the field of specialization and the location of employment.

4. What job opportunities are available for physicists?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including academia, government agencies, research institutions, and private companies. They can also work in fields such as engineering, healthcare, and technology. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data scientist, engineer, and professor.

5. What are the challenges of pursuing a career as a physicist?

Like any career, there are challenges associated with being a physicist. This field requires a significant amount of education and training, and research can be time-consuming and competitive. Additionally, the job market for physicists can be limited in certain areas, and securing funding for research can be challenging. However, for those with a passion for physics, these challenges can be outweighed by the rewards of making groundbreaking discoveries and advancing scientific knowledge.