Late bloomer: Physics, EE, or both?

• Thread starter nlsherrill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between pursuing a physics or electrical engineering degree, their interests and career goals, and the potential of double majoring in both fields. The importance of researching job opportunities and considering personal interests is emphasized.
nlsherrill
Hello all. I am new to the forum and have already learned a lot about the academics and career choices facing scientists and engineers. I believe I have a somewhat unique situation, and need some opinions from people in the field.

Basically, I am a Junior in college who has just found out what he does not want to do in school. For my first 2 years in school I just took general ed courses, mostly humanities and social sciences(the easy classes), and just last year I took an astronomy course and was truly astounded by physics. I also found an interest in math, but I am quite behind for my age/time in school.

Now I plan on going for a physics degree. Starting next year(my 4th year in college mind you) I am going to take University Physics 1, and depending on how much calculus I get done this summer, Calc 2 or 3. Aside from starting late with my physics pursuit, I have already completed virtually all the general ed requirements, and therefor will be pretty much exclusively taking math and physics for the next 3 years(including summer courses).

This sounds painful, but I love physics now, I definitely want to try and do this. On the other hand, I am not particularly sure what I plan on doing with a physics B.S. I have thought about teaching and that would require a M.S. for a community college, but I also have heard good things about the semiconductor industry, and obviously about electronics and such, which brings me to my next thing.

A lot of people at my school and even on this forum recommend EE over physics for a job. Now, I am not going through school solely for a job. I am doing what I am interested in, but a job IS important because if you have no money, you surely won't be happy. I like applications, and I like tinkering and believe I am good at hands on stuff as well, which is why I think EE would also be a good choice for me.

I'm a bit torn. I am surely going for physics because it interests me the most, but would a double major in EE be a good idea in case I decided to not go to graduate school and just want a regular job after college? It seems like a lot of topics overlap in the 2 degrees as well, which could hopefully reinforce each other. I have thought about getting a B.S. in physics, then going back to school for 1.5-2 years and getting a B.S. in EE instead. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's great to hear that you have found a passion for physics and are considering pursuing it as a major. As a scientist myself, I can understand your dilemma about choosing between physics and electrical engineering (EE). Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities, and it's important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision.

First of all, it's important to note that there is no right or wrong choice between physics and EE. Both are highly valued and in-demand fields that offer a wide range of career options. It's ultimately up to you to decide which field aligns more with your interests and goals.

If you are interested in hands-on work and tinkering with electronics, then EE may be a good fit for you. However, if you have a strong passion for physics and theoretical concepts, then pursuing a physics degree may be more fulfilling for you. It's also worth considering what type of work environment you see yourself in - physics research tends to be more collaborative and theoretical, while EE work can involve more individual projects and hands-on work.

As for the idea of double majoring in physics and EE, it can definitely be a good option if you are interested in both fields and have the time and resources to do so. However, it's important to keep in mind that it may require a lot of extra effort and may delay your graduation. You may also want to consider the possibility of pursuing a minor in EE or taking elective courses in EE to supplement your physics degree.

In terms of job opportunities, both physics and EE offer a wide range of options. Physics graduates often go on to careers in research, academia, or even finance and data analysis. EE graduates, on the other hand, may find opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and robotics. It's important to research the job market and see what types of positions are available in each field to help inform your decision.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider your interests and career goals, and to do some research on the job market for both physics and EE. You can also talk to professors and professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of what each career path entails. Good luck with your decision and your future studies!

Related to Late bloomer: Physics, EE, or both?

1. What exactly is a "late bloomer" in relation to physics and/or electrical engineering?

A "late bloomer" in this context refers to someone who develops an interest or pursues a career in either physics or electrical engineering later in life, as opposed to starting at a younger age.

2. Is it possible to excel in both physics and electrical engineering as a "late bloomer"?

Yes, it is definitely possible to excel in both fields as a late bloomer. While it may take more time and effort to catch up to those who started at a younger age, hard work and determination can lead to success in both physics and electrical engineering.

3. How important is a strong foundation in math and science for a "late bloomer" in these fields?

A strong foundation in math and science is crucial for success in physics and electrical engineering, regardless of age. However, as a late bloomer, it may be necessary to review and strengthen these foundations before delving into more advanced concepts.

4. Can a "late bloomer" still make significant contributions to the fields of physics and electrical engineering?

Absolutely. It's never too late to make a significant impact in these fields. Many famous scientists and engineers have started their careers later in life and have made groundbreaking contributions. Age should not be a barrier to pursuing one's passions and making meaningful contributions.

5. Are there any specific challenges that "late bloomers" may face in the fields of physics and electrical engineering?

One potential challenge for late bloomers in these fields is catching up to their peers who started at a younger age. This may require extra effort and dedication. Additionally, the fast-paced and constantly evolving nature of these fields may require continuous learning and adaptation. However, with determination and persistence, these challenges can be overcome.