Location of the magnetopause using Chapman-Ferraro equation

• I
  • Thread starter Kovac
  • Start date
  • Tags
Kovac
TL;DR Summary
Hello,

Lets say you need to calculate the location of the magnetopause subsolar point on earth and you only have this information:

> Solar wind proton number density: 10 cm−3

> Solar wind speed: 700 km s−1

Chapman_ferraro equations:

What is the difference between the above chapman-ferraro equations? Why does one of them have 2^1/3 in front and one doesnt? What does the "pl" & "E" stand for?

Which one is more applicable to my case scanario?

Attachments

• chapman_ferraro_eq.PNG
    chapman_ferraro_eq.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 45
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It might help to know what source those two equations came from.

My suspicion is that the simple CF equation gives the midday (subsolar) radius, and that the added term of; 2^(1/3) = 1.26; gives the dawn or dusk radius.

Ibix said:
These equations are coming from lecture slides.

Baluncore said:
My suspicion is that the simple CF equation gives the midday (subsolar) radius, and that the added term of; 2^(1/3) = 1.26; gives the dawn or dusk radius.
So if you want realistic values, is it the second equation to be used? Because both give different results

Kovac said:
Because both give different results
They are different because they are applied at different times of the day.
The magnetopause is not a spherical surface with one radius.

Ibix said:
Here are both equations mentioned in the slides.

Attachments

• cfeq.PNG
    cfeq.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 54
Baluncore said:
They are different because they are applied at different times of the day.
The magnetopause is not a spherical surface with one radius.
Alright, could you help me understand what the signs in the denominator stands for.
What is the B in the numerator?
I assume the last term in the denominator is the solar wind velocity, the middle term pressure? And the u0 term is what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetopause

According to this link the p= density of the solar wind, v = velocity, B=magnetic field strength of the planet.
How do I get the μ0? Can I get it through the proton number density?

Kovac said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetopause

According to this link the p= density of the solar wind, v = velocity, B=magnetic field strength of the planet.
How do I get the μ0? Can I get it through the proton number density?
##B_{E}## and ##\mu_{0}## characterize the magnetic properties of the planet. The magnetic field of the Earth can be modeled as a magnetic dipole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_model_of_the_Earth's_magnetic_field), with the value of the field at the Earth's surface along the equator taking the value ##B_{E}=3.12\times10^{-5}\text{ tesla}##. And the magnetic permeability of vacuum, ##\mu_{0}=1.26\times10^{-6}{\rm \ N/A^{2}}##, is a basic constant of electromagnetism.

renormalize said:
##B_{E}## and ##\mu_{0}## characterize the magnetic properties of the planet. The magnetic field of the Earth can be modeled as a magnetic dipole (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_model_of_the_Earth's_magnetic_field), with the value of the field at the Earth's surface along the equator taking the value ##B_{E}=3.12\times10^{-5}\text{ tesla}##. And the magnetic permeability of vacuum, ##\mu_{0}=1.26\times10^{-6}{\rm \ N/A^{2}}##, is a basic constant of electromagnetism.
Are you sure about u0? Because it seems it should be 4pi * 10^-7 as it is the magnetic permiability of free space:
http://www.sp.ph.imperial.ac.uk/~mkd/AdvancedOption3solutions.pdf

Attachments

• mu0.PNG
    mu0.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 38
Here are the first 4 pages of chap-8, The Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments.
It defines the CF equation you should use and the variables.

Attachments

• Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments,Chap-8 .pdf
    395.6 KB · Views: 39
renormalize said:
Try multiplying out ##4\times 3.14159\times 10^{-7}##. What do you get?
Yes correct, my bad!

Likes renormalize
Baluncore said:
Here are the first 4 pages of chap-8, The Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments.
It defines the CF equation you should use and the variables.
So in the equation density p= mass of proton x proton density of the solar wind x 1000 000 (conversion between kgcm^-3 to kgm^-3).
B = M/r^3 where M= magnetic dipole of the planet in question, r= radius of the planet in question.
μ0= 4pi x 10^-7 Vs/Am [magnetic permiability of free space]
u= solar wind velocity.

But I still dont understand why the second equation has 2^1/3 in front? Which one is more correct if you want to calculate for earth?

Kovac said:
But I still dont understand why the second equation has 2^1/3 in front? Which one is more correct if you want to calculate for earth?
In post #7, the lower RHS of your attachment reads, as best as I can OCR;
"Assuming B=0 In the magnetosheath the induced Bmp, must cancel the geomagnetic dipole field in this region. This yields

Bmp = Bdipole(Rmp)

However, just inside the magnetosphere, B will increase the total B to

B = 2⋅Bdipole⋅(Rmp) = 2^(1/3) * ....
"
Do you want the Rmp, or do you want B ?