Mech./Elec. Engineering Related Volunteer Ideas?

In summary, the speaker is looking for volunteer opportunities to boost their resume and experience level. They suggest building a mechanical/electrical solution, volunteering at a charity organization, or making a youtube video of how they do the project.
Nietzsche_Keen
Seeking some ideas for volunteer opportunities (with which to boost my resume and experience level).

One idea I've had is to pick an issue then design and build a mechanical/electrical solution. I obviously won't be presenting at any symposiums, but maybe I could build a beginner's portfolio.

Do you guys have any advice or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be useful to have a power adapter for cordless tools that have detachable batteries. For example, an 120 V AC to 18 V DC power adapter that would fit onto an 18 V drill like its 18 V battery does. The drill could then be used "in an emergency" when the worker didn't have a charged battery handy.

I suspect this is mainly a mechanical engineering challenge - packaging a standard power adapter in a battery shaped pack. A product that fit a variety of different brands of tools would be useful. Perhaps that could be made with a basic enclosure and various shaped connectors that hooked onto it.

Lol, well I was looking for volunteer ideas more so than project ideas, but that is an interesting one that seems to be right at my pay grade. I can't tell you the number of times I've THOUGHT a battery was charging when it wasn't. As they get old, the don't hold a charge very well or they won't recharge at all. I bet I could take one of these old battery casing and work on it. Thank you for your reply and your idea!

You could volunteer "to the world". Make a YouTube video of how you do the project. Prospective employers might look at it even it the link isn't on your resume - if routine background checks nowadays include looking applicants up on the web.

Cool idea! I'll make my own youtube symposium, lol.

Many places would take your talents & skills. A friend once told me he volunteered at his area's United Way organization to help them with their computer systems, setup, maintenance...generally an IT Support Guy for free. Since corporations like to "encourage" certain manager-track employees to be volunteer leaders for UW, he met & impressed all the future movers and shakers. The experience served him well.

But there are plenty of altruistic opportunities out there: soup kitchens, hospitals, religious charity organizations, Red Cross, etc. Use your imagination.

Likes Nietzsche_Keen

Related to Mech./Elec. Engineering Related Volunteer Ideas?

1. What types of volunteer opportunities are available for mechanical and electrical engineering students?

There are a variety of volunteer opportunities available for mechanical and electrical engineering students, including assisting with local community projects, participating in engineering competitions, and volunteering at engineering conferences or events.

2. How can volunteering benefit my career as a mechanical or electrical engineer?

Volunteering can provide valuable hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and the chance to develop new skills that can enhance your resume and make you stand out to potential employers.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications needed to volunteer in the field of mechanical or electrical engineering?

While some volunteer opportunities may require specific skills or qualifications, many organizations are willing to train volunteers and provide the necessary resources to support their work. It is important to have a strong interest in engineering and a willingness to learn and contribute.

4. Can volunteering in engineering count towards my college or university program requirements?

Many colleges and universities have programs that allow students to earn academic credit for volunteering in their field of study. It is important to check with your school's academic advisor to see if volunteering in engineering can count towards your program requirements.

5. How can I find volunteer opportunities related to mechanical and electrical engineering?

You can start by reaching out to local engineering organizations, contacting your college or university's engineering department, or searching online for volunteer opportunities in your area. Additionally, attending engineering career fairs or networking events can also help you find volunteer opportunities.