Mechanical Engineering, Questions about the job?

In summary, the conversation is about a freshman in college who is interested in pursuing a career in mechanical engineering. They ask questions about the field, including its changes over time, daily tasks, key factors for success, important achievements, advice for aspiring mechanical engineers, motivation for choosing this career, big projects worked on, recommended college courses, and salary range. The individual being interviewed opts not to share their name for privacy reasons.
BavaBoss
Hi,
I'm a freshman in college, and I'm working on a research paper for my own career choice. I've been very interested in majoring in Mechanical engineering since last year. I'm a true car junkie. I spend hours reading different articles about cars and engines. I'm really interested in all of the aspects of engineering, and i think it is the right job for me. I was wondering if could have some questions answered about the actual career.

1. Describe how mechanical engineering has changed during your lifetime.
2. What specifically do you do daily?
3. Where do you work?
4. What are 3 key things to be successful in this field?
5. What are some of your important engineering achievements?
6. Do you enjoy your work?
7. What advice would you give anyone looking to be a mechanical engineer?
8. What motivated you to become a mechanical engineer?
9. Have you supervised or worked on any big projects, what were they?
10. What classes should I take in college if I want to work in this field?
11. What is the salary range for mechanical engineers?
12. Where do you work?
13. What is your name? (I need the your name for my paper, but if not, i understand)

Physics news on Phys.org
BavaBoss said:
Hi,
I'm a freshman in college, and I'm working on a research paper for my own career choice. I've been very interested in majoring in Mechanical engineering since last year. I'm a true car junkie. I spend hours reading different articles about cars and engines. I'm really interested in all of the aspects of engineering, and i think it is the right job for me. I was wondering if could have some questions answered about the actual career.

1. Describe how mechanical engineering has changed during your lifetime.
2. What specifically do you do daily?
3. Where do you work?
4. What are 3 key things to be successful in this field?
5. What are some of your important engineering achievements?
6. Do you enjoy your work?
7. What advice would you give anyone looking to be a mechanical engineer?
8. What motivated you to become a mechanical engineer?
9. Have you supervised or worked on any big projects, what were they?
10. What classes should I take in college if I want to work in this field?
11. What is the salary range for mechanical engineers?
12. Where do you work?
13. What is your name? (I need the your name for my paper, but if not, i understand)

Sorry, for privacy reasons, and to discourage phishing, interview threads are no longer allowed at the PF.

Related to Mechanical Engineering, Questions about the job?

1. What is the role of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer uses principles of engineering, physics, and materials science to design, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. This can include anything from engines and machines to thermal and fluid systems.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a mechanical engineer?

Some common job responsibilities of a mechanical engineer include designing and testing products or systems, analyzing and interpreting data, developing and implementing manufacturing processes, and overseeing the production and maintenance of mechanical systems.

3. What skills are important for a career in mechanical engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for mechanical engineers. They should also have a good understanding of math, science, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on projects with other engineers and professionals.

4. What industries do mechanical engineers typically work in?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, construction, and energy. They may also work in research and development or for government agencies.

5. What is the job outlook for mechanical engineers?

The job outlook for mechanical engineers is positive, with an expected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the demand for new products and technologies, as well as the need to improve and maintain existing systems.