Multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational potential between two bodies and the gradient of this potential. It also touches on taking multiple time derivatives of this potential, with the issue of making mistakes due to the complexity. The conversation also mentions using the itex tag for inline equations and the potential equation being a partial derivative rather than a potential itself.
Belginator
Hello!

Let's say our gravitational potential is (as usual for 2 body),

$$a = -\frac{\mu}{r^3} \mathbf{r}$$.

Then the gradient of this is G,
$$\frac{\partial G}{\partial \mathbf{r}} = G = \frac{\mu}{r^3} [3 \hat{\mathbf{r}} \hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top - I] $$

Now if we take two time derivatives of G, we get

$$ \ddot{G} = \frac{3\mu}{r^5} [\hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top \mathbf{v})^2 (7 \hat{\mathbf{r}} \hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top - I) - 10(\hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top \mathbf{v})(\mathbf{v} \hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top + \hat{\mathbf{r}} \mathbf{v}^\top) + 2 \mathbf{v} \mathbf{v}^\top - (\mathbf{v}^\top \mathbf{v})(5 \hat{\mathbf{r}} \hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top - I) + (\hat{\mathbf{r}}^\top \hat{\mathbf{r}}) G]$$

Also for completeness, $$\mathbf{r}$$ is the position vector. $$\hat{\mathbf{r}}$$ is the unit position vector. $$r$$ is the norm of the position vector. $$ \mathbf{v}$$ is the velocity vector.

Now this is where it gets tricky, I need to take 3 more time derivatives of $$ \ddot{G}$$ so that I have up to the 5th derivative. The problem is, it's getting so long and tedious that I keep making mistakes. Is there a quick way of taking these derivatives? I tried mathematica but it just gets really messy because it does it in components rather than a vector. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you may have started off with an error. I think the potential you want is a scalar field proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex] whose gradient is a vector field. From there, all the time derivatives would be vectors rather than matrices, and it might look simpler and be easier to manipulate algebraically.

Also, the itex tag let's you do the same as the tex tag, but in line with a sentence, in case you didn't know.

Thanks for your advice, I didn't know about itex, and I actually made a mistake by calling the first equation a potential. It's really the first partial of the potential. But the problem otherwise remains the same, the equations are correct.

Related to Multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential

1. What is the concept of multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential?

The multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential refer to the different rates of change of the gravitational potential function with respect to time. This concept is often used in studying the dynamics of celestial bodies and their gravitational interactions.

2. How are the multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential related to the gravitational force?

The multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential are directly related to the gravitational force between two objects. The first time derivative of gravitational potential gives the force of gravity, the second derivative gives the acceleration due to gravity, and so on.

3. What is the significance of higher-order time derivatives of gravitational potential?

Higher-order time derivatives of gravitational potential are important in understanding the complex dynamics of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. They help us predict the future positions and movements of these objects, and also provide insights into the overall structure of the universe.

4. How do multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential affect the motion of celestial objects?

The multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential play a crucial role in determining the motion of celestial objects. These derivatives can influence the speed, direction, and trajectory of a body's motion, and can also cause orbital changes and gravitational perturbations.

5. Are there any practical applications of multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential?

Yes, multiple time derivatives of gravitational potential have various practical applications in astrophysics, space exploration, and satellite navigation. They are used to calculate and predict the motion of planets, map the gravitational fields of celestial bodies, and plan trajectories for space missions.