My first exercise on Group Theory

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their homework in group theory. They provide the multiplication table for the group G = ℤ7* and list the inverses of its elements. They also ask for help in finding an element of G that can generate the whole group when raised to any power. After some discussion, it is determined that 1 and 2 do not generate the whole group, and the student is advised to keep looking for the correct answer.
sa1988
EDIT: I've just realized this is the 'Calculus and beyond' subforum - I saw 'beyond' and thought, "Well I've done all my calculus, and now I'm doing group theory, so this thread must go here!". But now I realize it surely belongs somewhere else. Sorry about that. Mods feel free to shift it to the right place...

I'm new to group theory and am sure this is a very simple question as I'm only on Week 1 of my Group Theory module at university. I may even have got the correct answer (apart from one bit I'm stuck on), but I'd like to check it all before next week's lectures come around, just to be sure I'm on the right track with the various definitions and concepts.

1. Homework Statement

Write out the multiplication table for the group G = ℤ7*
List all the inverses of the elements of G.
Find an element of G such that every member of G is a power of that element

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we were told that a group ℤn* is defined such that it contains all integers except 0, and that all values in the group can only exist if they have no common factor with n. (e.g. ℤ4* = {1,3} . 2 is omitted because it is a factor of 4)

Hence the group G = ℤ7* = G{1,2,3,4,5,6,7}

Also, I understand a numerical group such as this uses the modulo form of multiplication, whereby any multiple resulting in something greater than n is simply treated as a the remainder. Hard to explain but I'm sure you all know what I mean. e.g. 5*3 with modulo 6 = 3

• So... The Multiplication table for ℤ7*:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 (ignore the 0 - I needed to add it to keep the table aligned)
1 1 2 3 4 5 6
2 2 4 6 1 3 5
3 3 6 2 5 1 4
4 4 1 5 2 6 3
5 5 3 1 6 4 2
6 6 5 4 3 2 1

I'm hoping this is correct.

• Next, the inverse of each element of G:
1→6
2→4
3→5
4→2
5→3
6→1

Again I'm hoping this is correct.

• And the final part: "Find an element of G such that every member of G is a power of that element"

Well, this is the bit I'm really unsure about. What does it mean by "every member of G"..? I assumed it was just another word for element, but still I can't see a clear, specific answer. I was thinking the answer is 1, because 1 to any power will give another member of G (assuming a member is also an element)..? I just don't know to be honest. Hopefully it's something blindingly simple.

Thanks for any help, particularly regarding that final part at the end.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:
EDIT: I've just realized this is the 'Calculus and beyond' subforum - I saw 'beyond' and thought, "Well I've done all my calculus, and now I'm doing group theory, so this thread must go here!". But now I realize it surely belongs somewhere else. Sorry about that. Mods feel free to shift it to the right place...

I'm new to group theory and am sure this is a very simple question as I'm only on Week 1 of my Group Theory module at university. I may even have got the correct answer (apart from one bit I'm stuck on), but I'd like to check it all before next week's lectures come around, just to be sure I'm on the right track with the various definitions and concepts.

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So we were told that a group ℤn* is defined such that it contains all integers except 0, and that all values in the group can only exist if they have no common factor with n. (e.g. ℤ4* = {1,3} . 2 is omitted because it is a factor of 4)

Also, I understand a numerical group such as this uses the modulo form of multiplication, whereby any multiple resulting in something greater than n is simply treated as a the remainder. Hard to explain but I'm sure you all know what I mean. e.g. 5*3 with modulo 6 = 3

1 1 2 3 4 5 6
2 2 4 6 1 3 5
3 3 6 2 5 1 4
4 4 1 5 2 6 3
5 5 3 1 6 4 2
6 6 5 4 3 2 1

1→6
2→4
3→5
4→2
5→3
6→1

• And the final part: "Find an element of G such that every member of G is a power of that element"

Well, this is the bit I'm really unsure about. What does it mean by "every member of G"..? I assumed it was just another word for element,

Yes.

I was thinking the answer is 1, because 1 to any power will give another member of G

1 is the identity; 1 to any power gives 1. This doesn't generate the whole group.
Look at the powers of 2: 2 -> 4 -> 1 -> 2. This doesn't generate the whole group either. Keep looking.

Likes sa1988
pasmith said:
1 is the identity; 1 to any power gives 1. This doesn't generate the whole group.
Look at the powers of 2: 2 -> 4 -> 1 -> 2. This doesn't generate the whole group either. Keep looking.

Ahhh I think I get it now. I forgot that I should keep in mind the use of the modulo, so that, for example, if I take 32 I get 9, which is therefore 2 in ℤ7*

The answer appears to be 3.
31 mod 7 = 3
32 mod 7 = 2
33 mod 7 = 6
34 mod 7 = 4
35 mod 7 = 5
36 mod 7 = 1

sa1988 said:
1→6
2→4
3→5
4→2
5→3
6→1

I don't agree with the bolded. Is the product of 1 and 6 the identity element?

The answer appears to be 3.
31 mod 7 = 3
32 mod 7 = 2
33 mod 7 = 6
34 mod 7 = 4
35 mod 7 = 5
36 mod 7 = 1

Correct. Such an element is called a generator of G.

Likes sa1988
sa1988 said:

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So we were told that a group ℤn* is defined such that it contains all integers except 0
No, it doesn't. As you say just below, it contains only those positive integers, less than n, that are relatively prime to n.

, and that all values in the group can only exist if they have no common factor with n. (e.g. ℤ4* = {1,3} . 2 is omitted because it is a factor of 4)

Again, no. Z7 does not include "7". Surely, that was a typo?

It would have been better to use something like "X".
1 1 2 3 4 5 6
2 2 4 6 1 3 5
3 3 6 2 5 1 4
4 4 1 5 2 6 3
5 5 3 1 6 4 2
6 6 5 4 3 2 1

Yes, that is correct.
1→6
2→4
3→5
4→2
5→3
6→1

No, the first and last are wrong. 6*1= 6 not 1. 1*1= 6 so 1 is its own inverse. Similarly 6*6= 1 so 6 is its own inverse.

Well, this is the bit I'm really unsure about. What does it mean by "every member of G"..? I assumed it was just another word for element, but still I can't see a clear, specific answer. I was thinking the answer is 1, because 1 to any power will give another member of G (assuming a member is also an element)..? I just don't know to be honest. Hopefully it's something blindingly simple.
Thanks for any help, particularly regarding that final part at the end.

:smile:
Yes, "member" and "element" are the same thing. However, 1n= 1 for all n so powers of 1 do not give "all members" Also, since 6*6= 1, powers of 6 can only give 6 and 1.
21= 2, 22=2*2= 4, 23= 2*4= 1, 24= 2*1= 2 and then it repeats- powers of 2 can give only 2, 4, and 1.
31= 3, 32=3*3= 2. 33= 3*2= 6, 33= 3*6= 4, 34= 3*4= 5, 35= 3*5= 1. We get all members. Check 4, 5, and 6 also.

(Notice that when a power is 1 we start repeating- we get all elements as powers only when the last, n-1, power gives 1.)

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
I don't agree with the bolded. Is the product of 1 and 6 the identity element?

Ahhh of course, my mistake.

1 is the identity element, 1*6 = 6 ≠ 1

1*1 = 1

It should be this, I believe?
1→1
2→4
3→5
4→2
5→3
6→1

sa1988 said:
It should be this, I believe?
1→1
2→4
3→5
4→2
5→3
6→1

Almost. Are you sure the inverse of 6 is 1?

Can two elements have the same inverse?

Likes sa1988
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Almost. Are you sure the inverse of 6 is 1?

Can two elements have the same inverse?

Hahaha christ I even saw and thought, "Why is that in bold as well?", then looked at the multiplication table to verify that the inverse of 6 was definitely 1.

I now see that the inverse of 6 is 6.

Thanks!

Related to My first exercise on Group Theory

1. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of mathematical groups. A group is a set of elements that follow a certain set of rules or operations, such as multiplication or addition. Group Theory helps us understand the properties and behaviors of groups and how they can be applied to various areas of science and mathematics.

2. Why is Group Theory important?

Group Theory plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. It allows us to analyze and classify complex systems, understand symmetries, and make predictions about their behavior. It also has practical applications in cryptography, coding theory, and quantum computing.

3. What are some common applications of Group Theory?

Group Theory has various applications in different fields, such as in quantum mechanics to describe the properties of particles, in crystallography to understand the symmetries of crystals, in computer science to analyze algorithms, and in chemistry to study molecular structures. It is also used in image and signal processing, robotics, and genetics.

4. What are the basic concepts of Group Theory?

The basic concepts of Group Theory include groups, subgroups, cosets, homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and group actions. A group is a set of elements with a binary operation that follows specific rules, such as closure, associativity, and identity. Subgroups are smaller groups within a larger group, and cosets are the different ways to partition a group. Homomorphisms and isomorphisms are mappings between groups that preserve their structure, while group actions describe how a group can act on a set.

5. How is Group Theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Group Theory is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, number theory, and topology. It provides a framework for understanding the algebraic structures of these branches and how they are related. For example, the concept of a group is a generalization of the concept of a symmetry group in topology, and the study of prime numbers in number theory can be approached using group theory.