Physics about electric circuits: Changing the resistors changes the currents

blesssid
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork problems.
Homework Statement
In an experiment with the circuit diagram as shown. Power source U = 1V; resistance R = 1Ω; Ammeters A1 and A2 are ideal ammeters (with zero resistance), and the currents through them can change when we change the value of the resistor r. Adjusting the value of the resistor r so that ammeter A2 shows 1A, ammeter A1 shows 3.5A. If we change the position between R1 and R2 and adjust the resistor r the A2 shows 1A, then A1 shows 7/3A .Calculate R1 and R2.
Relevant Equations
I = U/R
z5394064647850_0a06a36d985b29283c93c8b30763fd44.jpg

Please help me with this homework! I haven't had any solutions since it is all unclear.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Unfortunately the PF rules do require you to post your best effort.
The least you can do is redraw the circuit so it looks more like something you can recognize and calculate...

[edit] to help you on your way: You have 2 situations, so you want to make a list of variables you are going to use to build a set of equations: e.g. two (unknown) values for ##r## means you need an ##r_1## and an ##r_2##. Four (known) currents means four variables like ##I_1, I_2, I_3, I_4##.

Your list of equations needs more than just Ohm with so many variables (think Kirchoff)

[edit] more help: with redrawing the circuit I mean something that has the battery on the left :rolleyes:

1714386180315.png
##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes blesssid
Many thanks

blesssid said:
Relevant Equations: I = U/R
You will also need the equations of Kirchhoff's Loop Rule and Kirchhoff's Junction Rule.
Also, in the problem statement you have ##R=10##. I assume that's a typo and should be ##R=10\ \Omega##.

Have you covered Kirchhoff's Laws in your course?