Powder coating: way to add more positive charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of powder coating at home and the challenges of using a cheaper powder coating gun. The article mentioned may provide helpful information on features that can enhance the charge for a better coating. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of thermoset plastic and the necessary equipment and techniques for successful powder coating.
stryped
TL;DR Summary
Powder coating
I am thinking of powder coating at home. I know the part to be coated is negatively charged because it is grounded. I assume the powder is positively charged by the gun. I wonder if there is a way to add more positive charge cheaply to an inexpensive gun like the one at harbor freight? I think this is one of the drawbacks of a cheaper made gun. Could some sort of static charge be added?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use to work in a powder coat factory, spray on powder is thermoset plastic. Hot oven melts plastic to clean metal parts. You can order powder any bake temperature you like. I think the lowest bake temperature is about 350°f. We used 540°f power. Metal parts are electrically charged + & - to make powder attracted to parts. Call PPG they sell powder, they will mail you 1 lb free samples. House is none conductive how will you make powder stick and how will you bake your house in an oven? Heat gun will take years.

Last edited: